Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help identifying uniform

Andy91fr

Could anyone help me identify this uniform? The photo (taken c. 1916) is of William Lambert Goldsmith born June 21, 1899 in Uckfield, East Sussex. His family lived in Ringmer. I doubt the family legend that he was in the Irish Horse Guards. All I know for sure is that he survived a severe wound after having a portion of his skull lopped off by shrapnel which was covered by a silver plate.

With thanks.

Andy

post-18693-1257939165.jpg

Unfortunately the badge is too fuzzy to make out and I can't read the shoulder title either.

There was no unit called the "Irish Horse Guards"; Irish Guards, yes (the badge isn't theirs) Irish Horse, yes - South Irish Horse and North Irish Horse - doesn't look like theirs either.

There are 77 William Goldsmiths in the Medal Index Card records at the National Archive, but no William Lambert Goldsmith. (I tried Lambert Goldsmith as well - no hits).

If you can, a close up of the badge would help.

I doubt the family legend that he was in the Irish Horse Guards.

post-18693-1257939165.jpg

Andy,

I have never heard of regiment called The Irish Horse Guards. There was a 4th (Royal Irish) Dragoon Guards, but as Max has said the badge in the photo is too indistinct to tell. I doesn't appear to be the 4th DG badge which was the star of the Order of St Patrick over a scroll but one can't really tell. Nor does it appear to be the Sussex Yeomanry which was more elongated in its shape.

Perhaps a Pal with access to his MIC might be able to help identify the unit he served with.

Cheers

Chris

Yes I see Staffs. Your post was made as I was typing up mine and I only noticed yours after submitting mine.

Thanks to you all. This is the best I can do with the badge but it's no better.

post-18693-1257951348.jpg

I had also tried searching the military records and was aware that the Irish Horse Guards did not exist as such. This could have been the South Irish Horse as one his daughters claims to have seen a letter he addressed to family from Curragh Camp. I found this on Rootweb: The SIH was in France in WW1. They became 7th Bn, Royal Irish Regiment in 1917.

Are there any available records of casualties?

Looking at the shape of the badge, it could be Household Cavalry of some description.

This could have been the South Irish Horse as one his daughters claims to have seen a letter he addressed to family from Curragh Camp.

Careful of a logical leap; the Curragh was the largest camp in Ireland and lots of units would have been there.