Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Army Veterinary Corps

Guest lesannelee

Guest lesannelee

Please can anyone tell me if the cap badge changed when they became the Royal Army Veterinary Corps. The badge is now shown as a laural wreath surmounted by a crown with a horse/man representation in the centre. The badge my greatgrandfather has left is a laural wreath surmounted by a crown with the interwoven initials A.V.C in the centre. Some years ago I photocopied a page of badges from a book which identified this as The Army Veterinary Corps and we do have an address for the 3rd Veterinary Hospital, B.E.F France. so we have always assumed that this was where he served, he was a publican and used to working with horses. I have not been able to find any records of his service through the usual channels.

Hi Annelee

Welcome to the Forum,think this is the badge you have,I think they received the Royal title in 1918,then the figure of Chiron ( half man half horse ) the Centaur was used,but I am sure an expert will be along to put that right. :thumbsup:

post-10020-1257888911.jpg

all the best Gary.

Hi Annelee,

Welcome to the forum.

My great uncle served with the Army Veterinary Corps from 1914 and this is some information I came across on the AVC while I was researching him.

The much coveted title “Royal” was promulgated to the Army on the 27th November 1918 and the cap badge changed soon after from the AVC one to the figure of Chiron, a centaur.

The number of officers who served with the (Royal) Army Veterinary Corps during the Great War was 1,668 of which 63 died. The number of other ranks was 41,755 of which 420 died.

Sorry its not much.

Regards

Nigel

post-19948-1257986226.jpg

Guest lesannelee

Many thanks Gary and Nigel, very clearly explained, that has set my mind at rest that I'm not barking up the wrong tree. Is there any access to records of the AVC itself as I have had no luck finding my GGrandfathers war records in the usual way?