MIC wanted

daggers

Could anyone kindly oblige with the MIC details for the following:

Name: VICK, CHARLES JOHN

Regiment: Royal Army Medical Corps

Unit Text: 87th (1st West Lancs.) Field Ambulance

Date of Death: 08/10/1918 dow

Service No: 337727

Additional info: Brother of Miss F. Vick, of 43, Rundle Rd., Aigburth, Liverpool.

Grave ref: O. C.E. 40.

Cemetery: LIVERPOOL (TOXTETH PARK) CEMETERY

Better still, are his papers available among the new release?

His family headstone has been laid flat at the cemetery [H&S reasons] and could be restored if the local TA/RAMC unit follow up an expression of interest.

Thank you.

D

D,

There is service records for a Charles J Vick 2244, 1st West Lancashire Field Ambulance, 45, Ferndale road, Liverpool.

Note - I'm too slow!!!

John

I'm not sure how you would access them without Ancsetry and I don't have a printer here, hopefully someone will get them to you, but be careful there is a document in the middle of them belonging to another man. The circumstances of his wounding and subsequent death make dreadful reading and its a credit to the RAMC that he got back to the UK.

Mick

Here's a summary of his service from his service record

Enlisted in the 3/1st West Lancashire Field Ambulance at Tramway Road, Liverpool on 21 October 1915 as Private No.2244

Embarked at Southampton on 23 April 1917 arriving at Le Havre the next day and travelling to Rouen.

On 6 July 1917 he transferred to the 3/2nd West Lancs Field Ambulance

Spent 7-16 August 1918 on leave in Paris and 22 August-5 September 1918 on leave in the UK

Wounded (Gun Shot Wound to the back) in action 27 September 1918. Treated by his own Field Ambulance then transferred to 38 Casualty Clearing Station, then 26 A Train on 29 September, 3rd Australian General Hospital in Abbeville on 29 September before being removed to England on 30 September 1918 on the A.T.Brighton.

Hope this helps

Patrick Watt

Left the keyboard for a few minutes and you've all been beavering away. Many thanks to all for great help [as ever here].

I see the snippet shows he was in 3/2 West Lancs Field Ambulance, although CWGC have 1st. Perhaps other documents will show the transfer.

D

Richard

I'll email his service record to you

Stephen

All received, thanks very much. They show the full, sad story outlined by Mick, heightened by the few 'effects' returned to Pte Vick's sister, his NofK.

I have had a positive reaction from the local TA RAMC unit about the condition of the memorial stone and will report on the outcome.

D