Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

88th Siege Battery, RGA

Dundee

I would appreciate any information on the activities of the 88th Siege Battery, RGA. My husband's grandfather Gunner George Scott Simpson (60373) was attested on 16th October 1915. He was posted to the 88th SB on 12th December 1916, from 44 Company. I believe that at this time he would have been at Pembroke Dock. He was posted to the BEF on 20th May 1915 and, so far, I have traced his journey to Sailly-au-Bois and his participation in the diversionary offensive at Gommecourt, thanks to online snippets from Alan MacDonald's book " A Lack of Offensive Spirit"

Can anyone shed light on what happened to the 88th SB after that? Did they remain with the 47th HAG or 56th Division?

At some point in time though George was transferred to the 218th Siege Battery, but his service record is damaged at the part where this is probably shown, with only fragments of dates. I can pinpoint him in the 218th in the Absent Voters List (15th Oct 1918) and when he was discharged on 27th Dec 1918.

My husband recalls his grandfather saying that he was at Ypres and Arras.

Many thanks in anticipation.

Dee

Dee

88 SB War Diary runs from May 1916 to Feb 1918,so I suspect that your dates are a bit awry !

They were a unit of the 2nd Army. The Diary reference is WO95/297 and will be a day's read at Kew !

Sotonmate

Dee

88 SB War Diary runs from May 1916 to Feb 1918,so I suspect that your dates are a bit awry !

They were a unit of the 2nd Army. The Diary reference is WO95/297 and will be a day's read at Kew !

Sotonmate

Oops! I did go awry! He was attested 16th Oct 1915, posted to 88 SB 12th Dec 1915 and to BEF 20th May 1916.

Thanks for the info. So a big diary then!! Not one to get a quote for copying??

Dee