Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Which units served in Palestine?

AdrianBruce

I'm trying to trace my grandad's history during the First World War. Since his name was John (Jack) Griffiths, and I have no medal details or anything, this is liable to be a long task!

He was born in Nantwich, Cheshire and about the only things we know of his service career are that he served in Palestine - because he sent his mother some flowers from the Mount of Olives - and also in France. Plus there is a story that either he or his brother joined one of the Bantam units. I'm guessing he was an infantryman.

So, to try to make a start somewhere... Is there a complete list of all units that served in Palestine?

I've got 1st/4th Cheshire & 1st/7th Cheshire as the most obvious candidates. But what else...?

Good luck Adrian - Try this. Go to the 'long long trail' at the top of this forum page - under the main title and click on. From there you will be able to get some very useful info and pointers. Courtesy of Chris Baker.

Cheers,

Des

I'm trying to trace my grandad's history during the First World War. Since his name was John (Jack) Griffiths, and I have no medal details or anything, this is liable to be a long task!

He was born in Nantwich, Cheshire and about the only things we know of his service career are that he served in Palestine - because he sent his mother some flowers from the Mount of Olives - and also in France. Plus there is a story that either he or his brother joined one of the Bantam units. I'm guessing he was an infantryman.

So, to try to make a start somewhere... Is there a complete list of all units that served in Palestine?

I've got 1st/4th Cheshire & 1st/7th Cheshire as the most obvious candidates. But what else...?

There are 29 John Griffiths listed currently in the Cheshires/Or having served in the Cheshires & 777 John Griffiths in the MiC Listings @ the NA Online.[0 "Jacks"]Brig James British Regiments 1914~18 gives 41 Line Regiments Battalions with Palestine as a Battle Honour;but unfortunately no list as such,though each Battalions theatres are mentioned in the Text ;)

Hi Adrian

There were many Yeomanry units in Palestine, so you can not rule out him being in the Yeomanry, the Cheshire Yeo. were there.

I have no medal details or anything

Also you can not rule out him being in another county unit other than the Cheshires, just because he came from Cheshire, several Nantwich lads were in the Shropshires for example.

Try looking through any old local papers, you never know your luck.

Annette

Dear Adrian

It is probable that your grandfather served with the Cheshire Yeomanry, who were posted to Egypt as cavalry. However they were dismounted during their time there. Together with the Shropshire Yeomanry they became 10th Battalion King’s Shropshire Light Infantry, which served in Palestine in 1917 and 1918 with 74th Division. They arrived in France in March 1918, landing at Marseilles and then moving to Canchy for training, reaching the front line between La Bassee Canal and the River Lys on 11 July.

OK - 777 in total to check through, at how many a minute.....?

Seriously - gives me some ideas where to look, and the distinct feeling that the simple, complete list doesn't exist so I'm not missing something by not finding it. Which reassures me, even if it doesn't help me!!

Thanks