Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

General Staff cap badge

Michael Pegum

Can anyone tell me where to find a good illustration of the cap badge which would have been worn by an infantry brigadier in 1915?

Michael

Ca Va:~

B)

post-2388-1257802296.jpeg

I hate to say it, as Harry's usually spot on but that's the badge as worn post-1922 when Brigadiers stopped being 'General Officers' (i.e. downgraded from Brigadier-General to Brigadier - they were briefly known as Colonel Commandant) .

In WW1 they wore the General Officer's badge - crossed baton and sword in a wreath with Lion over crown at top

http://www.kellybadge.co.uk/images/L2E010.jpg (This is a modern one, but the essential pattern - apart from the Crown - hasn't changed)

For 'combat' wear a bronze version was often worn. Rank badge was a crossed sword and baton on the shoulder straps.

Ill Go Eat Humble Pie, Its Me Age!!! ;)

In WW1 they wore the General Officer's badge - crossed baton and sword in a wreath with Lion over crown at top

http://www.kellybadge.co.uk/images/L2E010.jpg (This is a modern one, but the essential pattern - apart from the Crown - hasn't changed)

For 'combat' wear a bronze version was often worn. Rank badge was a crossed sword and baton on the shoulder straps.

Yes, it's the bronze version I am looking for. Would it look something like this? I want a large version, to make a line drawing.

post-3328-1257886995.jpg

Michael

That's the one, but the bronze one would be all one colour and had no cloth backing. It was also larger than its embroidered counterpart (I'd guess half as big again)