Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Does Anybody Know This Memorial?

CSMMo

This is one of the many photographs and postcards I inherited from my grandfather, Lt. Dan Morrison, 4th Highland (Mountain) Brigade, RGA. Unlike most of the photos, there is nothing written on this one. I have my suspicions, but I don't know for certain where this memorial is, when the ceremony depicted took place and who the gentlemen are in the front.

Mike Morrison

Pic resized to 600 pixels wide

I suggest you contact the Imperial War Museum and send them a copy of the photograph. They might be able to tell you where it is, or was.

Fred W

The memorial is very distinctive. I would imagine that someone in either the Imperial War Museum or the Friends of War Memorial's might be able to point you in the right direction. I would guess that it is located in a major city due to its size and the amount of people in the photo.

Note the high church steeple in the background.

Good Luck...

Hello,

Could the uniform of the mourning soldiers (hands on reversed rifles) beside the monument, give us a hint? Region or city of their regiment. I see they gave an very specific Scottish headdress.

Joris

Westouter

Nice photograph Mike I think I have seen this memorial I don't know when but it seems very familiar Please when you find out where it is post its whereabouts and good luck in your search. Rob.

Now that I've had a chance to look at several other photos, I think I recognize two gentlemen which gives a huge hint as to where it might be. The clergyman on the extreme right (looking at the photo) resembles Reverend Dickey who married my grandparents in Rothesay in 1920. The gentleman 4th from right appears to be "Turk" McMillan, Provost of Rothesay during that era. This would make sense as to why my grandfather had and kept the postcard. The town, however, looks larger than Rothesay, although at the time it had a population almost twice what is has now. I'll ask the local folks to comment on it. It is quite an impressive memorial wherever it is!

Mike

Hi,

i am maybe Flemish but i've been in Scotland and i think the sharp peak is the church of Perth, by the Tay river. North East scotland... Anyhow it looks the same church.

There seems to have been a Scottish generic artist at work - I wonder who. This is so like the memorial in the market place in Lockerbie in Dumfriesshire - very similar base and a great angel, though the southern one looks more in flight, and avenging than this calm creature.

This has to be in At The Going Down Of the Sun, the book about the memorials of UK. I think by Derek Moorman but it's at home & not sure.

Paul,

It's Derek Boorman. A fine book but this memorial is not in it. However, it does show that the winged figure of Victory is a common device on memorials.

I thought at first it was Leeds but the plinth is wrong.