Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte Cyril Putman London Regiment (London Scottish

Guest jeremyc

Guest jeremyc

Pricate Cyril Alan Putman served with the London Regiment (London Scottish ) C Company 2/14th Battalion. I know he went to France and Palestine, and was injured in April 1918. Would you know how I could get records relating in detail to him and also to his units exploits during the war. Are war diaries useful? And are the recors that one can get at the public records office worth reading?

Many Thanks

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Start off by reading Granddads war on the mother site and the section on the London Scottish - 14 th Londons.

Ian

If you hadn't realised the "mother site" is "The Long Long Trail" linked at the top left hand corner of this page. It's a vast (and growing) resource on the British Army in WW1 and a good stating place for any research.

The "original" history of the Regiment is published by the Naval and Military Press - who have a website "www.naval-military-press.com". This book was edited by Lt Col J H Lindsay and was produced in 1926. Mark Lloyd has written a book with the same name "The London Scottish in the Great War", which includes extracts from various diaries and letters by those who served. His work is published by "Pen and Sword."

A Regimental Museum exists who are also very helpful

• 1 year later...

Delta

I notice that at the bottom of your page you have:

Pte Sid Wilson. 2nd Bn London Scottish KIA Wed 21 Aug 1918 near Locrehof Farm

My grandfather, Private Ctrill Putman was injured at Locrehof Farm on the 23rd August 1918. Do you have any details about that action?

Thanks

Jeremy

Also a book "Kilts across the Jordan". I don't have it, but it covers the 2/14th in Palestine.

• 3 weeks later...
Delta

My grandfather, Private Ctrill Putman was injured at Locrehof Farm on the 23rd August 1918. Do you have any details about that action?

Thanks

Jeremy

Jeremy

Sorry for the delay - didn;t pick up the post.

can you send my your home e-mail address; I can then send you what I have found (mainly based on the Regimental history) which I have made up intoa short battlefield tour guide.

Stephen

• 5 months later...
Guest jeremyc
Jeremy

Sorry for the delay - didn;t pick up the post.

can you send my your home e-mail address; I can then send you what I have found (mainly based on the Regimental history) which I have made up intoa short battlefield tour guide.

Stephen

Sorry for the delay too.

my home email is: jeremy.cunningham@schorders.com

many thanks

Jeremy

Jeremy - no problem

should be with you tromorrow pm (latest version is at work)

Stephen

http://www.londonscottishregt.org

The London Scottish is still part of the Army providing 'A' Company of the London Regiment. This website contains a form that may be sent to them to serach for info on past members. There is an excellent Museum at the HQ in Horseferry Road and a large number of photographs has been collected. Do you have any of Putnam?

I used "snail mail" to contact the Museum about 5 years ago and the Archivist could not have been more helpful.

I have a phot of Sid Wilson; do you think they would be interested?

Stephen

Jeremy

"Battle of Locrehof Farm" sent to your e-mail address

Please let me know if it reaches you

Stephen :unsure: