Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Timothy Hennessey- Kings Royal Rifle Corps - Killed 10/4/1917

hollydar

My Great Uncle Timothy Hennessey was killed aged 35. He is buried at Bray Military Cemetery. I would like to be able to find out more about him ie when he joined - how he died etc. can anyone point me in the right direction for finding his service records.

I have only joined this site today so hope I have entered this topic correctly.

Many thanks for any help that can be given

Pat Darcy (Mrs)

Very many welcomes to you Pat.

Is this who you are looking for.....

will look a bit more later (have to dash to shops before they close now)......

Timothy Hennessey

Birth Place: Stepney, Middx.

Residence: London

Death Date: 10 Apr 1917

Enlistment Location: Bethnal Green, Middx.

Regiment: King's Royal Rifle Corps

Battalion: 10th Battalion.

Number: R/38156

Type of Casualty: Died of wounds

Susan.

Another little bit of info for you Pat..... (crazy Ancestry had him down as "TEmothy!!!)..... that is if this is your man.

post-8059-1257695280.jpg

regards for now.

susan.

A very warm welcome to the Forum Pat.

Your Gt. Uncle's unit was in 59th Infantry Brigade of 20th (Light) Division. In April 1917 the unit will have been involved in operations against German outposts left as they retreated to the recently created 'Hindenburg Line' to the east. That he died of wounds in Bray means that the date he became a casualty is hard to work out. There were 3 Casualty Clearing Stations in Bray therefore he could have been there some time. On April 4th the 59th Brigade was involved in a major attack against Metz en Couture, south of Havrincourt Wood (look south west of Cambrai). The attack was a success but the casualties were heavy, the brigade losing 96 killed and 272 wounded plus 30 missing. It could be very likely that your Gt. Uncle was wounded in this action, eventually was taken to Bray in the hope of being cleared to the UK but unfortunately then succumbing to his wounds.

Maybe others will be along who are KRRC experts will know more.

Jim

Hi Susan thank you so much for taking the trouble to search for me. Yes this is my Great Uncle. I know so little about him as all the older members of the family are long gone and sadly he wasn't really mentioned when I was growing up. I would love to know all I can about him especially as two of my cousins aged over 80 years old tried to research him many years ago when computers weren't available. They are so delighted I found some details and a copy of his Certificate of Honour of the War Graves commission site. My younger cousin who has a place in France actually went to his grave and placed some flowers - which she found very emotional. I would love to know details of his person ie height - occupation before he joined up etc etc.

Thank you so much once again

Pat

Thank you so much for your welcome Jim and also for the wonderful details you have sent me. I can't tell you how grateful I am. I am so glad I found this site and appreciate the kindness I have experience already.

Thank you once again

Kindest regards

Pat

Hi Pat, not much more info to find from me.... this is from CWGC (Commonwealth War Graves Commission) Site:

Name: HENNESSEY, TIMOTHY

Initials: T

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: King's Royal Rifle Corps

Unit Text: 10th Bn.

Date of Death: 10/04/1917

Service No: R/38156

Additional information: Son of James and Julia Hennessey, of London.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: II. F. 1.

Cemetery: BRAY MILITARY CEMETERY

In Memory of

Rifleman TIMOTHY HENNESSEY

R/38156, 10th Bn., King's Royal Rifle Corps

who died age 35

on 10 April 1917

Son of James and Julia Hennessey, of London.

Remembered with honour

BRAY MILITARY CEMETERY

Commemorated in perpetuity by

the Commonwealth War Graves Commission

Nice to be able to help, albeit in a small way.

Susan.

Sadly even the widest search on Ancestry does not give up details of a Timothy Hennessey or of any Hennessey in the KRRC. Is there any chance ant of the name is incorrect, spelling of Hennessey for example. Although to think of it I did leave the surname as not exact so any near spelling in the KRRC should have come up. That is if the search is working properly which many doubt at the moment.

Jim

Ah found him in the 1901 census! Brilliant bit of indexing by Ancestry have him as James' wife!! :w00t: It did say wife on the original but it is overwritten badly and probably someone tried to change it to son. He is 19 in the census and living at 5 Goveys Place, London (I think it's Goveys) along with 5 other daughters and 2 other sons and probably another son John who is married to Charlotte. Busy household!!

If your family don't have this info I could try to go further for you although we are a bit out of the WW1 groove for the Forum.

Jim

Ah found him in the 1901 census! Brilliant bit of indexing by Ancestry have him as James' wife!! :w00t: It did say wife on the original but it is overwritten badly and probably someone tried to change it to son. He is 19 in the census and living at 5 Goveys Place, London (I think it's Goveys) along with 5 other daughters and 2 other sons and probably another son John who is married to Charlotte. Busy household!!

If your family don't have this info I could try to go further for you although we are a bit out of the WW1 groove for the Forum.

Jim

Thank you Jim so much for your help. I know that my Grandmother (Timothy's sister) was Annie, she had sisters Theresa, Liza (possibly short for Elizabeth?) Lottie (Charlotte) Julie, and Jenny (this could be an abbreviation too) and Connie (Constance I would presume). I understand there were four sons William, Jack (who died of smallpox at a young age I think) Nicholas and Timothy. I wonder if the John you mention was the husband of Charlotte. I had no idea where they lived and when I tried researching the Hennessey's I could find nothing. I was told by a family member that they understood that they originated from Cork in S. Ireland but have never been able to clarify this.

I understand that this is not within the groove for the Forum - but if you could assist further I would be very grateful - my email address is padarcy@tiscali.co.uk I will understand if this is difficult for you.

I really appreciate your kindness in what you have found for me already - you have made my day.

Thank you so much

Kindest regards

Pat

• 4 months later...

Sorry, late on duty!

Quick transcript of 10th Battalion Diary for 4th April 1917.

I agree this was probably the engagement in which your relation was involved.

Short Report of operations on April 4th 1917

The Battalion was ordered to attack enemy vanguard positions East and South East of the village of Metz – en – Coutre including the South East side of the village itself and consolidate on a line on the high ground to the N and NE of the village.

The 11th Battalion were conforming on the left and the 8th Division on the right.

The hour of commencing the assault was 2.0 p.m. at which time the Battalion deployed in one wave of two lines on a two company front from DESSART WOOD – Weather snowing hard.

Operation commenced without incident.

About 2.15 p.m. the Battalion came under heavy Machine Gun fire being then on high ground. Casualties were incurred at once but the advance continued steadily and good direction intervals were maintained.

The Left Companies pushed steadily on into METZ the Right Companies were hung up in the SUNKEN ROAD on their right flank, this road was cleared but more Germans counter-attacked from the S.E. and after inflicting heavy casualties drove out the Right Company of the second line. The leading Coy. of this flank had by then gone on to and passed its final objective.

The situation then was this – The Right flank was in the air – Nothing could be seen of the Division on the left – the enemy were in behind the right company at an unknown strength.

A message was at once sent to the right company to detail a party to return and deal with the situation – and instructions were then received from Brigade to use a company of the 10th R.Bs who were established 500 yds North of DESSART WOOD.

This company of the R.Bs was ordered to assault the road from a S. Westerly direction and consolidate there.

The enemy however either had retired towards GAUZEAUCOURT WOOD or surrendered prior to their arrival so this company was ordered to hold the line from the right of the Battalion to the left of the Division on the right forming a defensive flank.

In the meantime all the objectives had been gained about 30 prisoners were taken mostly from isolated posts. They belonged to Regiments 229, 230 and 231.

The attack seemed a surprize to the enemy possibly owing to the snow storm which took place.

Little difficulty was experienced with supplies, useful captures of Tommy’s Cookers, solidified spirits, and feed and drink were made.

Our casualties unfortunately were heavy.

Our order of Battle was as follows:

“A” Coy under Capt. Sunderland, on the right.

“C” Coy under Capt. O’Rorke, on the left.

“D” Coy under Capt. Blake, behind “A” Coy.

“B” Coy under Capt. Egerton Leigh, behind “C” Coy.

The following Officers were killed:

Capt. Egerton Leigh.

Capt. C.R. Blake.

Capt. D.G. Davies M.C.

2nd Lt. Ashwell.

2nd Lt. A.L.C. Marlow, was killed by a shell the night before in DESSART WOOD.

Lt. J.B. SWAN and 2nd Lt. E.D. Harvey, were wounded.

2nd Lt. R.S.G. Vigers was badly hit and subsequently died of wounds in hospital.

Capt. J.H. Sutherland and Lt. A.S.F. Tindall were both slightly hit but remained on duty.

There were about 170 losses amongst other ranks, comprising

22 killed

128 wounded

20 missing

In losing thes Officers the Battalion has sustained by far the greatest loss since its foundation. Captains Egerton Leigh and C. R. Blake had been with us since 1914, the former, in unanimous opinion of all, was one of the bravest Officers we have ever known.

The behaviour of the last draft joined three days ago was beyond priase. The artillery were much hampered by weather conditions. Enemy artillery fire was negligible until after our objectives were gained.

The entire operation was a great success, though our casualties were heavy.

Stormin

• 6 months later...

Hi Pat

I run a small local web site called bethnalgreenwarmemorials.com you might like to know that Timothy Edward Hennessey is mentioned in two local war memorials . he is listed on a war memorial in our lady of the assumption church and also in the bethnal green roll of honour.. please fel free to look in at my site for photos etc .. I would like in the fullness of time to include photographs of some of the fallen who are mentioned on my site, if that is something you would like to share id be very glad of any photos of Timothy and or storys you would like to share

trudy

My Great Uncle Timothy Hennessey was killed aged 35. He is buried at Bray Military Cemetery. I would like to be able to find out more about him ie when he joined - how he died etc. can anyone point me in the right direction for finding his service records.

I have only joined this site today so hope I have entered this topic correctly.

Many thanks for any help that can be given

Pat Darcy (Mrs)