Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte S Trim 5548 68th Coy MGC

sajackr

Hi, I am after advice of the best source to attempt to find casualty records for my great grandfather:

Pte S Trim 5548 68th Coy MGC

On 22 December the Company was relieved and began to move out of the trenches to Erie Camp. As it moved through the

ruins of Zillebeke around 6pm. Heavy shellfire fell and it is assumed this is where he was wounded.

He was evacuated, making it as far as the medical facilities at Remy Farm in the hamlet of Lijssenthoek, west of Poperinge. There he succumbed to his wounds on 24 December 1916.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks

sajackr

sakjackr

68 Coy MGC was attached to 68 Brigade of 23 Division. I guess that you mean the year to be 1916. They had three Field Ambulances attached 69/70 and 71,so your subject would likely have gone through one of them to pass on to the next stage,probably a Casualty Clearing Station at Remy Sidings. At that time there were two CCS there,10 and 17. These units have War Diaries but the ones I have peeked at to date don't seem to have lists of the casualties treated,more of a unit-focussed account of position/workload/staff matters etc. The casualty listings would have later been retained in files at the National Archives under MH106. Neither of these two units records were kept,there are a few representative records now,one of them,which I read some of recently,is 3CCS,which was not in that area.

You might still get some info from another source but I point out that it may not be forthcoming.

Sotonmate