Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Soldiers Uniform

Dannemois

Hi

I wonder if someone can take a look at the attached photo. Written on the back in pencil is the following: 1/2 col Tues night, Gunner D J Fear, Return, Mr W Fear, 52 Pengam Street, Pengam. Mr W Fear is Mr William Fear, father of Gunner D J Fear. The problem I have with this is according to the CWGC site David John Fear was Pte 111767 of the Tank Corps Reg killed 23/11/1917 [son of William & Elizabeth Fear, 10 Hanbury Street, Pengam. I have no doubt we are talking about the same D J Fear but unless I am mistaken the soldier in the attached photo looks like he is wearing the uniform of the Royal Artillery.

I would appreciate help on this one.

Regards

Roy

post-34874-1257430284.jpg

Hi

I wonder if someone can take a look at the attached photo. Written on the back in pencil is the following: 1/2 col Tues night, Gunner D J Fear, Return, Mr W Fear, 52 Pengam Street, Pengam. Mr W Fear is Mr William Fear, father of Gunner D J Fear. The problem I have with this is according to the CWGC site David John Fear was Pte 111767 of the Tank Corps Reg killed 23/11/1917 [son of William & Elizabeth Fear, 10 Hanbury Street, Pengam. I have no doubt we are talking about the same D J Fear but unless I am mistaken the soldier in the attached photo looks like he is wearing the uniform of the Royal Artillery.

I would appreciate help on this one.

Regards

Roy

Royal Artillery Cap Badge, bear in mind however as the new Tanks were fitted with small field guns, he may have been transferred to the Tank Corps as a gunner prior to embarkation for France, in that case Royal Artillery wouldn't appear on his Medal Card but would on his service record.

Sam

Your man in the photo is certainly Royal Artillery, possibly Royal Horse Artillery - wearing spurs and carrying a riding crop!

Roy

Further to my earlier reply this is from "Soldiers Died Great War, as you can see he was RA.

Edited to add: - The action he was killed in was probably the attack on Bourlon Wood (supported by Tanks) by the 119th Infantry Bde part of the 40th Div, maybe a Pal with some info on the Tank Corps can give you more

http://www.1914-1918.net/bat21.htm

http://www.17thwelsh.ukf.net/Nov_17_Pages/...BourlonWood.htm

DAVID JOHN FEAR

Regiment, Corps etc: Tank Corps

Battalion/etc

Surname: Fear

Christian Name: David John

Initials: D J

Born: Tredegar, Monmouth

Enlisted: Bargoed, Glamorgan

Residence

Number: 111767

Died Date: 23/11/1917

Died How: Killed in action

Theatre of War

Supplementary Notes: FORMERLY 229681, ROYAL HORSE AND ROYAL FIELD ARTILLERY.

Roy

Further to my earlier reply this is from "Soldiers Died Great War, as you can see he was RA.

Edited to add: - The action he was killed in was probably the attack on Bourlon Wood (supported by Tanks) by the 119th Infantry Bde part of the 40th Div, maybe a Pal with some info on the Tank Corps can give you more

http://www.1914-1918.net/bat21.htm

http://www.17thwelsh.ukf.net/Nov_17_Pages/...BourlonWood.htm

DAVID JOHN FEAR

Regiment, Corps etc: Tank Corps

Battalion/etc

Surname: Fear

Christian Name: David John

Initials: D J

Born: Tredegar, Monmouth

Enlisted: Bargoed, Glamorgan

Residence

Number: 111767

Died Date: 23/11/1917

Died How: Killed in action

Theatre of War

Supplementary Notes: FORMERLY 229681, ROYAL HORSE AND ROYAL FIELD ARTILLERY.

Hi Roughdiamond

Thank you so much for the information. Pte Fear was killed as a crew member of tank B24 Brigand, so as you mentioned must have transferred to the Tank Corps.

Best Regards

Roy

What makes this postcard more poignant is the note, "1/2 col Tues night, Gunner D J Fear, Return, Mr W Fear, 52 Pengam Street, Pengam." This would seem to indicate that Mr W Fear lent this postcard to a local newspaper so that it could be used in an article about his death. If you could find a copy of the local paper for the period in question you almost certainly find an article about David Fear, half a column in length, in the Tuesday night edition.

What makes this postcard more poignant is the note, "1/2 col Tues night, Gunner D J Fear, Return, Mr W Fear, 52 Pengam Street, Pengam." This would seem to indicate that Mr W Fear lent this postcard to a local newspaper so that it could be used in an article about his death. If you could find a copy of the local paper for the period in question you almost certainly find an article about David Fear, half a column in length, in the Tuesday night edition.

Hi

I never thought of the note written on the back of the photo in that way so thanks for the suggestion. I will check next time I'm in the local library.

Regards

Roy