Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RFC airfields in Italy

ChrisM

I have references for 34 Sqdn. in December 1917 to "Montebelluna" and "Istrana". Could anyone kindly advise me whether these are likely to have been one and the same airfield, please?

Thanks.

Chris

Chris

I think Istrana and Montebelluna are almost certainly the same place. 'The War in the Air' Volume VI has No 42 Sqn arriving at Istrana on 7 December 1917 and commencing operations two days later. There's no mention of a move to another aerodrome before the unit returned to the Western Front in March.

From the map in Norman MacMillan's 'Offensive Patrol' Istrana was about 8 km slightly east of south from the town of Montebelluna, and the only other aerodrome in the immediate area is an Advanced Landing Ground at San Luca, which appears to be 2 or 3 km north east of Istrana. Perhaps Istrana was sometimes referred to by the name of the nearest town.

The endpapers of 'Italian Aces of World War I' includes a map of Italian/Allied and enemy aerodromes on the Front. Both Istrana and San Luca are shown, and the nearest other aerodrome to Istrana is Fossolunga, which appears to be some 1 or 2 km north-east of Istrana. Perhaps Fossolunga wasn't used by the RFC/RAF and is therefore missing from the map in 'Offensive Patrol'.

Cheers

Thank you, Dolphin.

A biography of Billy Barker mentions a retaliatory raid on Istrana on Boxing Day 1917 following an attack by Barker and other members of 28 Squadron on them the previous day. Part of the Austrian raid appears to have been on the wrong, neighbouring airfield and this was possibly one of the other two bases you mention, Fossolunga or San Luca.

The biography states that there were no reports of damage to Istrana. However I have separate comment to the effect that whilst little material damage was caused there were casualties on the ground; and the records show the death of a Sgt. Roberts of 34 Sqn. at Istrana on 26th December 1917 as the result of an enemy attack.

Thanks again.

Chris

Chris

In case you haven't seen it, I thought I'd post an extract from 'The War in the Air' relating to the Austro-Hungarian air raid on Allied aerodromes on 26 December 1917. In modern terms, it seems some of the A-H airmen were 'tired and emotional' at the time.

First part:

post-25-1083411552.jpg

Dolphin,

Very interesting. Thanks for that. My original question having been well and truly answered, other fascinating angles open up, as ever. In particular, what provoked that ill-planned, ill-disciplined and ultimately suicidal attack by the Austrians?

The biography of Barker I mentioned suggests strongly that the raid was in retaliation for a bit of derring-do by Barker and two others on Christmas Day. I quote:

“On Christmas Day Barker, Hudson and another pilot decided to send seasonal greetings to the Austrians at nearby Motta Aerodrome. On a large piece of cardboard they wrote the message "To the Austrian Flying Corps from the English RFC, wishing you a Merry Xmas". They then proceeded to fly across the field wing-tip to wing-tip firing their incendiary Buckingham bullets into the open doors of the hangars. Soon the planes and hangars were burning fiercely. They swooped around and shot up the air-raid trenches where the mechanics and some of the pilots were trying to hide. They killed 12 and wounded many others. The trio made it back to their base at Istrana and quietly convinced the mechanics to patch the bullet holes, as unauthorised flying had been banned by the British commander.”

There follows a colourful description of the retaliation which also includes the same 34 Sqdn. pilot’s quotation . Yet the extract from “The War in the Air” (which I hadn’t seen, so thanks) makes no mention of that remarkable initiative by Barker and suggests that it was earlier raids which sparked the Austrian action. Otherwise the descriptions tally, especially with regard to the hung-over, and worse, state of many of the attackers. So which to believe?

I have a comment written by another 34 Sqdn. pilot written during the evening of that day, 26th December 1917.

“Although the weather was very dud on Christmas Day in the early morning our Scout machines flew over and gave the Bosche a real strafing (all details when I come home) but this morning the Bosche retaliated with 40 machines and bombed our aerodrome. I am sorry to say we lost some of our men but the material damage was very little but thanks to the R.F.C. he (the Bosche) returned to his ‘drome less 13 machines”.

Seems to clinch it. Or does it?

Chris

Chris

I've just had another browse through 'Barker VC' and noticed that Wayne Ralph repeatedly stresses the unofficial nature of Barker and Hudson's raid on the enemy aerodrome, eg "Major Glanville had not ordered the mission". 'The War in the Air' is the Official History of the British air services and is, therefore, naturally concerned with the 'official' record of authorised exploits. The raid was documented by No 28 Sqn's Recording Officer, but the significance might not have been apparent when the History was being written.

Anyway, that's a possible solution.

Cheers

Dolphin,

Perhaps there is some truth in both explanations and Barker's exploit was regarded by the Austrians as the last straw, particularly at a time when judgements were somewhat clouded.

Thanks as always for all your interest and information.

Chris