Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bibliography of Regimental Histories

Greenwoodman

Does any pal have a copy of A S White's "A Bibliography of Regimental Histories of the British Army"?

I have a copy of the CD "Armies of the Crown" which contains this bibliography. But the search facility is so awful I was tempted to purchase a cheap hardback copy of the book on eBay. And I found out why it was so cheap! It's missing four pages, 99 & 100, 263 & 264. Anyone have the book and would be prepared to copy the pages for me please? I'll pay any expenses, of course.

Richard,

I have emailed you the missing pages! Hopefully you can open them, If not let me know and I will re send as single files.

Andy

Andy

Thanks very much - and in less than an hour!! They opened perfectly, and have been printed, trimmed and added to the book. OBLI & the Essex present and correct! Much obliged.

Chaps,

I'm looking for any info on the 2nd Bn Essex Regiment. Is it a good idea to go hunting for the book you mentioned?

And/ or are there more comprehensive books about the Essex Regiment. I gather there is no official history comparable to those of other regiments?

All the best,

(Grandson) Michael

White gives the following which may be of interest (presumably for the time of the Great War)

Burrows, John William. "The Essex Regiment: 2nd Battalion (56th)(Pompadours)". (Southend-on-Sea: John H Burrows & Sons, Ltd., 1927).

This is "Essex Units in the War, 1914-1919, Vol.2"

"A Short History of the 1st and 2nd Battalion Essex Regiment. With the names of all those who laid down their life for their country, 1914-1918".

(Aldershot: Gale & Polden Ltd., 1921).

They might be a bit difficult to find!!

Much obliged and searching...

(Grandson) Michael

following this thread

Could I ask if anyone knows if there are specific histories of the

10th Btn QO Roy West Kents (I know only of the gen regtl hist by Atkinson)

23rd Btn Middlesex (I know only of the gen regtl hist by Wyrall)

and

what was the full title (etc) of the privately published hist of the 20th Btn DLI that was mentioned somewhere or other on this forum which I can't find again !!!

(In case you're wondering, I'm after btns in the 123 Inf Bde, the other one was 11th Queens for which I have found a btn hist, by Neave 1931)

thanks

Julian

The answers are:-

No

No

"The History of the Locally Raised 20th (Service) Battalion Durham Light Infantry" (Sunderland: R. Youll, printer, 1920). 65 pages.

Also

Miles, Capt. Wilfred. "The Durham Forces in the Field, 1914-1918: Vol.2 The Service battalions of the Durham Light Infantry". (London: Cassell and Co. Ltd., 1920) 380 pages (only this volume published).

Richard,

Thanks v much. If I don't find the 20 DLI in eg IWM library, could I ask some questions - if you are the one with a copy (I knew about the Miles volume)

Julian

Not me, I'm afraid. I wish! If you're up in Durham try these libraires - Claygate (I think - the main city one, good local history collection), Uni Library (between the Cathedral and Castle), and as a last resort, the County Record Office (which houses the regimental archive - in which to me at least not a great deal of interest is taken)

Any one know if theres a history of the 1/8 Royal Warwicks or the 3rd South Midland Brigade?

Lindsey

"8th Battalion The Royal Warwickshire Regiemtn.: A Short Description of the Battle of Beaumont Hamel, 1st July 1916" Compiled from accounts of survivors and of a visit to the Field of Battle, March 12th 1918, by Brig.-Gen W. R. Ludlow.

15 pages for private circulation. Try the Warwicks museum/archives for a copy.

What was the full number of 3rd S. Mids Bde e.g. 143 Bde.?

Thanks Greenwoodman for the info re the 8th Royal Warwicks. i will contact the museum to try and trace a copy of the article you mention.

Forgive my lack of knowledge but what does the 1 mean infront of the 8th?

My Gt Uncle percy was in the 3rd S Midland which was the 143 as you say. Any sources of info??

Hi

1/8th means the 1st Battalion of the 8th Royal Warwicks. There was also a 2/8th (originally to provide training and drafts but also went overseas) and a 3/8th (training & drafts)

And 143rd Brigade:-

Caddick-Adams, Peter. "By God They can Fight! A History of the 143rd Infantry Brigade 1908-1995". (Shrewsbury: 143rd (West Midlands) Brigade, 1995).

Good luck with your research.

Hi Greenwoodman

Thanks for the second lead you have kindly shared. I hope now i can put more of my grandfathers life together.

Regards, Lindsey

Greenwoodman,

Please will you post details of any works on the Norfolk Regiment.

Regards,

Rob Carman.

Son of a Scholar Green Carman and an Sandbach Grammar School boy.