Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

OLD CONTEMPTIBLES ASSOCIATION

Neil Clark

I have come across a small metal plated memorial pushed into the ground in Wye churchyard in Kent. It has the words "OLD CONTEMPTABLES ASSCIATION, ASHFORD BRANCH around the outside. Inside it says CHUM LEE. OX and BUCKS L.I

The plate has been pushed into the ground at the side of a row of Great War graves. I think that the memorial relates to a soldier who served in the BEF by the name of LEE. He was obviously in the Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry.

I wonder why it is placed where it is. Does it commemorate a man who fell and is buried overseas or does it mean that he is buried somewhere nearby? Perhaps he survived the war and died years later of his wounds??

There are many LEE's (OX and Bucks) on SDGW. I take it that all members of the Association were called CHUM .........

Any ideas, I would like to trace the man...

Hi Neil

The only O.B.L.I. man named Lee Is a 2nd Lt. Lionel Shaw Lee of the 5th Bn. and was killed on the 25/09/1915 and is on The Menin Gate War Memorial Ypres .

I do have a Photo of his name on the Memorial if you want a copy E.mail me and I will scan you a copy of it if you like

Hope this is of help for you

Cheers

Brian

I wonder whether Chum Lee survived the war and perhaps died later? (The Old Contemptibles Association wasn't formed until 1925.) Maybe the memorial was placed there by his fellow-members. Perhaps his ashes were scattered near the row of war-graves? The church burial records might give up some information.

Tom

Brian

Thanks I will come back to you if and when I confirm an identity.

Tom

I suspect you may be right...

I have once again been shown up with my spellings! (CONTEMPTIBLE)

THANKS!

My Grandfather was an Old Contemptible who survived the war and died in 1948. He has an official O.C.A badge on his grave (Stolen and recovered 20 years ago. I hope it's still there !) So I suspect your man's memoral is something similar but with a branch link.