Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Bn Durham Light Infantry ~ Battle of Hooge

Soren

Got the 10/DLI War Diary including maps and aerial photos,( plus Lt.Col.Morant's report re:Hooge) amongst other things if that's any good to you. (I'm presuming that you're referring to the July/August 1915 actions?)

There're about 16 or 17 pages regarding Hooge so I won't be posting them on here. Send me an email if you think any of it may be of use.

Dave.

***EDIT*** ....also got the 2/DLI War Diary

That'll be great Dave, what about the 2nd 'White Gurkhas' I understand they were decimated, also why are they called that?

These documents relating to the 10th is it the same attack/ground? The battle I'm looking at is August 15

I'm working on painting of the action....

That'll be great Dave, what about the 2nd 'White Gurkhas' I understand they were decimated, also why are they called that?

These documents relating to the 10th is it the same attack/ground? The battle I'm looking at is August 15

I'm working on painting of the action....

Hi Soren,

I believe that you are looking at 9th August, 1915? Well, from 'The British Campaign, 1915' by Conan Doyle, page 162/3:

"The infantry assault had been assigned to the Sixth Division, who advanced at 3.15, with two brigades in front and one in support.

The 18th Brigade(Ainslie)was upon the right. Colonel Towsey was in immediate command. The 2nd Durham Light Infantry were in the lead, and got across two companies in front with little loss----. The wave of infantry were over the German parpet in an instant. All resistance was in vain, and those who stood were bayoneted, while the fugitives were pelted with bombs from traverse to traverse wherever they attempted to make head against their pursuers. So sudden had been the British rush that many of the Germans were found in their dug-outs---".

The Germans made several counter attacks during the day but were beaten back each time. For the day it seems that the 2nd DLI were the chief sufferers, with 12 officers and 500 men out of action. Many of these were as a result of the German counter attacks and shelling. I don't believe that the 10th DLI were involved at this time but were involved during the July liqiud fire attack?

I hope this is what you are looking for.

Best wishes, Robert

Extract from Lt.Col.Morant's (10 DLI) personal diary in reference to the action and 2/DLI...

post-357-1257253970.jpg

post-357-1257254001.jpg

post-357-1257254022.jpg

...you should have the 2/DLI War Diary for the whole of August'15 sat in your email inbox as I write, but here's the mention of them from the 10/DLI diary. Looks like these guys had to clear quite a mess up when they moved into the trenches (slightly further north) that night!...

post-357-1257254865.jpg

post-357-1257254895.jpg

From the O.H. ...

post-357-1257255216.jpg

...Trenchmap extract (trench dated Aug 3rd 1915)...

post-357-1257255435.jpg

2nd 'White Gurkhas' ... ... why are they called that?

No idea... I can't say I've ever heard of them referred to as that (though (I think) that the 9th Bn were the "Gateshead Gurkhas"). The only "White Gurkhas" I can think of off the top of my head were the 2nd Inf Bde. AIF.

Dave

Coincidence Soren?

Their CO had served in India hence the Ghurka nick name. They advanced from Sanctuary wood area across the position where the cemetery is now opposite the museum towards the outbuildings of the original Hooge Chateau. Pte J Ogden, 2nd DLI, decided to dive into a shell crater thinking they never hit the same place twice. (as told by a comrade to his family). He was wrong and is now commemorated on the Menin Gate.

Regards

John

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
Got the 10/DLI War Diary including maps and aerial photos,( plus Lt.Col.Morant's report re:Hooge) amongst other things if that's any good to you. (I'm presuming that you're referring to the July/August 1915 actions?)

There're about 16 or 17 pages regarding Hooge so I won't be posting them on here. Send me an email if you think any of it may be of use.

Dave.

***EDIT*** ....also got the 2/DLI War Diary

Dave, I have just seen this and you may be the answer to my quest for info on my rugby player (and rower) Eric Fairbairn 10/DLI dow 20/6/15. I would love to know about where the 10/DLI were throughout the war, not just his time of dying..

info@rugbyremembers.co.uk will reach me.

Cheers

hello....

I've only actually got the diary for the 10/DLI between May 1915 and June 1916 (plus nominal rolls and, of course, Morant's diary). That alone comes to approx 120 pages, so i certainly won't be emailing that lot to you (each image, at approx 3 - 4 Mb per image would need resizing to send to avoid the need for me to send nearly 40 emails!) :o . However (in brief) - upto the time of his death...

21st May - Aldershot

22nd May- Folkestone (to Boulogne)

24th May - Cassel

26th May - Volkerinckhove

27th May - Noordpeene

29th May - Caestre

31st May - Bailleuil

Entrenching

8th June - Canada Huts & Rozenhill Huts

12th June - Dranoutre and to instruction Trenches to the west of Wijtschaete (Lindenhoek & Kemmel). Casualties; 1 Off.DoW, 3 O.R. KiA. 4 O.R. DoW, 13 O.R. wounded

You may be better off hunting out 'The Durham Forces in the Field. 1914-18'. vol 2 'The Service Battalions of The Durham Light Infantry' by Wilfred Miles (available as a re-print from the N&MP) which is based on diaries for a more complete story.

Dave.

Dave many thanks and fully understand. Had not really quite clocked that they would of course be scans ( well, it was late and had been a long day...) I will root out the Miles book.

Fairbairn appears to have been something of rich Aussie playboy rower - no job when he enlists in Artists at 25 years 11 months - albeit a real achiever on the river with Olympic medal etc and the above tells me he did not have a long war on active service.

Many thanks

Stephen

Forgive my ignorance, but do I take it that his 20/6/15 DoW (Bailleul) date implies that he was in the'Hooge feint' as you call it? I am much more knowledgeable on the Somme geography/chronology, than the other end of the front line!

The Hooge name at least give me the chance to find out more about the action online. I will also contact the DLI museum, although since they have given their archives to the records office, they may be 'under new management'.

Many thanks for the tip.

rgds

Stephen

Forgive my ignorance, but do I take it that his 20/6/15 DoW (Bailleul) date implies that he was in the'Hooge feint' as you call it?

No... 10/DLI didn't go anywhere near Hooge until 24th June.

Dave

• 8 months later...

hello....

HELLO CROONAERT

I am very interested in your post that you have the diary of 10DLI from May 15- Jun 16.

I have just started to trace the background of my Grandfather who was with 10 DLI and would much appreciate any information you may be able to give me or direct me to?

My Grandfather was 26130 Pte W Hemming, 10 DLI. I know he enlisted on 17 Aug 14 and was Medically discharged on 29 Jun 16. He qualifeid for the 14/15 Star on 14 Jul 15 and so I assume he arrived in France about then?

I have tried various avenues of researcha nd have come up with the nmaes of Hooge, Delville Wood etc but I have failed to find actual detail of the 10 DLI and where they were. i would of course like to fund out where my Grandfatehr was injured and served.

Any thing you can add to my research would be useful.

Many Thanks

Paul

I've only actually got the diary for the 10/DLI between May 1915 and June 1916 (plus nominal rolls and, of course, Morant's diary). That alone comes to approx 120 pages, so i certainly won't be emailing that lot to you (each image, at approx 3 - 4 Mb per image would need resizing to send to avoid the need for me to send nearly 40 emails!) ohmy.gif . However (in brief) - upto the time of his death...

21st May - Aldershot

22nd May- Folkestone (to Boulogne)

24th May - Cassel

26th May - Volkerinckhove

27th May - Noordpeene

29th May - Caestre

31st May - Bailleuil

Entrenching

8th June - Canada Huts & Rozenhill Huts

12th June - Dranoutre and to instruction Trenches to the west of Wijtschaete (Lindenhoek & Kemmel). Casualties; 1 Off.DoW, 3 O.R. KiA. 4 O.R. DoW, 13 O.R. wounded

You may be better off hunting out 'The Durham Forces in the Field. 1914-18'. vol 2 'The Service Battalions of The Durham Light Infantry' by Wilfred Miles (available as a re-print from the N&MP) which is based on diaries for a more complete story.

Dave.

• 1 year later...

Hello, I realise this thread dates 2010 but I too am interested in finding out the movements of my grandfather. I presume his service records are lost, presumed burnt? because I cannot find them no matter how hard I try. I was told the Dli had copies but they don't. All surviving Army service records are kept at The National Archives Kew.

I too am interested that you have a war diary of the 10th Battalion DLI 1914-1915. (14th Division-43rd Brigade. I am trying to discover where and when my grandfather enlisted. He left from Folkestone on 21st May for Boulogne. I believe he was one of the first to enlist as a volunteer in Kitcheners New Army. He was a Private , Reg No:12316 and in the regimental police. (can you tell me anything about the RP? (I am female and not au fait with talking about battles etc, but I am learning fast!) I do not know where he went after landing in France except that he was killed at Ypres, (I now believe at Hooge)on 31st July 1915. His name on the Menin Gate. I have a map which shows the position of the 10th DLI,14th Division, 43rd Brigade on the 30th July 1915. They were on NE edge of Zouave Wood. I would dearly love to trace his steps inbetween landing at Boulogne on 21st May and moving into those trenches at Hooge to relieve the 41st Brigade on 30th July. Has anyone any photos of that trench/trenches and the fields in front of that trench? Thank you so much!