Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

7th Bedfords Regmnt Diaries

steve fuller

Got them from the Luton Archives, if anyone has a use for them?!

Steve

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Tankman

Could you check to see if Pte. Harry Shearing No. 39471 was in this battalion.

He was in the Beds Regt. but I dont know which battalion.

Many thanks

Tankman

Would really like a copy electronic or otherwise of the diary if at all possible. What your bag? If you want to do an info exchange more than happy

Guest Tankman

perce620,

Not sure who your reply was aimed at.

For myself, I am looking for info about my grandfathers service history.

I have just started on this, so I have no info to exchange for you.

Tankman

Many thanks

Tankman

I have added every name from the War Diary to my database of men who served (including all the names in the Battalion Orders). Shearing is not listed.

Perce620.

Bedfordshire and Luton Record Office and Archive have the 7th Battalion War Diary online and will shortly have the other Bedfordshire Rgt battalions available. Martin Deakin is in the final stages of a book based on the 7th Battalion Diary due out in August.

Steve.

What is your interest in the Battalion?

John.

• 4 weeks later...
Steve.

John.

Hi again John

Gt Gramps (Herbert Kendall) was in the 5th, then the 7th, and can remember speaking with you before! When I get his pic and anything that I think you wont already have, Ill copy you, as I know youre very interested in the 7th!

Have been speaking to Nigel Lutt, and cant wait for that book to come out. Have you been invloved in it?

Also, scuse me being cheeky, but do you keep anything on the 5th out of interest?

Steve

Many thanks

Tankman

Hi Tankman

Soz for the delay, still learning the finer workings of this forum!!!

Do you still want the notepad? If so, mail me on steve@fulmac.com and Ill forward it. Its a biggun ....

Steve

Would really like a copy electronic or otherwise of the diary if at all possible. What your bag? If you want to do an info exchange more than happy

Hi there

Do you still want the diaries? Sorry its taken a while to reply ...

My man was a 5th (Gallipoli), then 7th (France) soldier, so am putting his timeline together; another forgotten soul that shouldnt have been im afraid.

Any info exchange is usually useful, so yep please!

Steve

Steve.

John.

Hi again John

Gt Gramps (Herbert Kendall) was in the 5th, then the 7th, and can remember speaking with you before! When I get his pic and anything that I think you wont already have, Ill copy you, as I know youre very interested in the 7th!

Have been speaking to Nigel Lutt, and cant wait for that book to come out. Have you been invloved in it?

Also, scuse me being cheeky, but do you keep anything on the 5th out of interest?

Steve

Hi Steve.

I have the following.

"The History of the Fifth Battalion the Bedfordshire and Hertfordshire Rgt (TA).

Warne 1930".

A good general history with detailed rolls of casualties and awards (no mention of Kendall)

Also The Story of the First Fifth Bedfords.

Edmond Rimmer 1917.

Deals entirely with the build up and initial Gallipoli action, written by the father of one of the men killed in action. Lots of casualty pictures.

I have some pictures and newspaper articles.

All good for a general idea of what they were up to.

If you have met Nigel he will have advised you of what they hold in the Archive at Bedford, I found the NCO's diary with details of his men and the serial numbers of their rifle bolts interesting, also sad, as it has a hole in it from the bullet that killed him.

I will reply to your mail shortly.

John.

Hi Steve.

I have the following.

"The History of the Fifth Battalion the Bedfordshire and Hertfordshire Rgt (TA).

Warne 1930".

A good general history with detailed rolls of casualties and awards (no mention of Kendall)

Also The Story of the First Fifth Bedfords.

Edmond Rimmer 1917.

Deals entirely with the build up and initial Gallipoli action, written by the father of one of the men killed in action. Lots of casualty pictures.

I have some pictures and newspaper articles.

All good for a general idea of what they were up to.

If you have met Nigel he will have advised you of what they hold in the Archive at Bedford, I found the NCO's diary with details of his men and the serial numbers of their rifle bolts interesting, also sad, as it has a hole in it from the bullet that killed him.

I will reply to your mail shortly.

John.

Hey John

they sound fascinating, and as for the bulleted book ... how poigniant is that? Any guidance or help is appreciated of course! Just hope I can return the compliment one day!

Thank you once again, and look forward to hearing from you!

Steve