Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte Leslie Hinson 2194 or 2104 East Riding Yeomanry

geoffreyhill8730

I am the nephew of Private Leslie Hinson who was killed on the 2nd May 1916 during a Zeppelin raid on York, I have details of the raid, and CWG info, any further information would be much appreciated

Hi

Welcome to the forum. The CWGC site shows his number as 2194. Why do you think it may be 2104? I'm sure you'll get a lot more info. shortly.

Regards Barry

PS. Raid took place at 10.30pm. over a ten minute period, 18 bombs were dropped and nine people killed.

GH8730

I see from the Soldiers Died in the Great War that there are 20 soldiers who died on that day at Brough. I see that there is a Brough on the River Humber at York. Were there that many casualties in the same place ? I ask because the SDGW freqently uses a UK nail on which to hang casualty data,Aldershot is a main use,even though the men were killed overseas.

Sotonmate

Hi

FreeBMD shows that your uncle was born in the 2nd quarter of the year 1898 so was only just or very nearly 18 when he was killed (02/05/16 - CWGC). He doesn't appear to have a medal index card which suggests that he died before he saw service overseas.

Regards

Teresa

Hi

FreeBMD shows that your uncle was born in the 2nd quarter of the year 1898 so was only just or very nearly 18 when he was killed (02/05/16 - CWGC). He doesn't appear to have a medal index card which suggests that he died before he saw service overseas.

Regards

Teresa

Hi Teresa

I believe he was not quite 18, i have a cutting from the Hull daily mail which states he was only 19, but that cant be possible, anyway thanks for the info.

best regards Geoff

Hi

Welcome to the forum. The CWGC site shows his number as 2194. Why do you think it may be 2104? I'm sure you'll get a lot more info. shortly.

Regards Barry

PS. Raid took place at 10.30pm. over a ten minute period, 18 bombs were dropped and nine people killed.

Hi Barry

thanks for the reply, I found a printout on Uk soldiers died in the great war which states his number as 2094, guess its just a mistake

<best regards Geoff

GH8730

I see from the Soldiers Died in the Great War that there are 20 soldiers who died on that day at Brough. I see that there is a Brough on the River Humber at York. Were there that many casualties in the same place ? I ask because the SDGW freqently uses a UK nail on which to hang casualty data,Aldershot is a main use,even though the men were killed overseas.

Sotonmate

Thanks for that, Brough is some 30 or 40 miles from York but as you say they could be just generalising

Geoff.

• 9 months later...

Hi Geoff,

This is an old thread I've just stumbled upon so I hope you are still lurking on the forum somewhere...

My area of interest is the East Riding Yeomanry and I have some photographs of Leslie's grave in Hessle Cemetery. I would be happy to send you copies, in exchange could I perhaps ask for your information on him and the raid for my database?

Regards,

Neil.