Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

56th Division Plaque in Arras

andyspiller

Pals

On the corner of the Rue Du Saumon in Arras is this plaque. Does anybody know why it is there? There is also a photo of it in Rose Coombes' BEF - but she does not say why either.

Regards

Andy

Pic resized. Members please keep pics at 600 pixels width or less.

post-19-1083331729.jpg

Edited by Chris_Baker

Why not, andy? They were in the Arras battles, after all.

Interesting to see the "Dulce et decorum". I wonder when Owen`s poem killed that one off as an epitaph. Phil B

Phil

Quite agree, but was really after anybody that might have any info as to whether or not the site of the plaque has any significance.

Andy

Andy, the plaque commemorates the Division's actions during the Battles of the Scarpe, 1918.

And Phil, the first published collection of Owen's poetry came out in 1920, with a second printing in 1921, but it was the new 1931 edition, with a biography and introduction by Edmund Blunden, which really took off, I think.

Tom

Tom

Confused now <_< . I thought that the Scarpe battles were April/May 1917. Are they referred to as something else in 1918.

Regards

Andy

Andy - I think the plaque commemorates the 1918 Battle of the Scarpe (26th - 30th August, 1918) - start of the Second Battle of Arras. There were several "Battles of the Scarpe" and hopefully someone will be able to tell us which was the first, second etc!!

Tom

I think the 56th Div only took part in the First Battle of the Scarpe 9-14 April 1917.

The other Battles of the Scarpe were 23-24 April 1917 and 26-30 August 1918.

Fred W

Chris

Firstly, sorry about the pic I did downsize from 800K to 160K!

Had a quick look and found that both the Arras and Hindenburgh pages for 1918 are WIP :blink: .

I will have to look somewhere else now.

I am also still curious as to the siting of the memorial

Andy

The 56th Division were involved in the Battle of the Scarpe which was a key part of the last months of the war. It is a battle honour shared by many units but which has very little publicity.

Now I have looked things up there was a Battle of The Scarpe 3- May 1917 in which 56 Div (V1 Corps) was engaged and also 26-30 August 1918 as part of XV11 Corps)

Fred W

You'll find a short history of the Division here:

http://battlefields1418.50megs.com/56_division.htm

They did indeed serve at Arras in both 1917 and 1918; they did well in the April 1917 battle and helped stop the German Army east of Arras in March 1918 before taking part in the August 18 battles around Arras, so I suspect that is why they chose to have their divisional memorial in Arras.

Paul

I've rechecked the Divisional History and can't find any particular reference to the division being stationed in Arras itself. I am just curious if the positioning of the plaque is significant or not - and also if anybody knows who put it up.

Andy

• 1 month later...