Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Fitz William Cheeseman 2nd Dorsets Kut

exdower

Is there any kind and knowledgeable person who might know of a list of prisoners from the 2nd Dorsets at Kut. I've traced my ancestor from India in 1911, where he was a bandsman 6330 stationed at Poona. His medal card records his promotion to Cpl, 5718029. He survived the war and returned to England.

I was interested in whether he was captured and survived the march and imprisonment, or luckily evaded capture for some reason. Thank you in advance if you can help.

• 2 months later...
Is there any kind and knowledgeable person who might know of a list of prisoners from the 2nd Dorsets at Kut. I've traced my ancestor from India in 1911, where he was a bandsman 6330 stationed at Poona. His medal card records his promotion to Cpl, 5718029. He survived the war and returned to England.

I was interested in whether he was captured and survived the march and imprisonment, or luckily evaded capture for some reason. Thank you in advance if you can help.

Though probably not 100% complete, lists of British Kut POWs were published in The Times on 7th, 22nd, 24th and 27th June, 3rd and 17th July, and 10th November 1916 (the bulk of the Dorsets prisoners appear on 24th June). I have had a look through them and can find no mention of Cheeseman under Dorset Regt.

Bart

• 2 weeks later...

There is a series of ledgers in the Keep Military Museum, Dorchester, that refer to the 'enlistments' of men in the 5718nnn and 5719nnn number ranges.

The relevant entry shows...

Number: 5718029

Surname: Cheeseman

Forename: Fitzwilliam

Battn: 2nd

Enlisted: 17/05/1901

Medal entitlement: 1914-15 Trio/IGS bar Malabar/LSGC

Date Leaving Regt: 16/10/1925

Remarks: Discharged. Ex 6330

There is no mention of his having been a POW, which is noted against numerous other names in the ledgers. As there is also no mention of his having been a POW on his MIC I would say that he somehow was detached from the Battn before the siege of Kut (invalided due to sickness?) and was thus not a POW.

Regards

Steve

His seven digit number confirms that he was still serving in 1920 and Steve's info says up to 1925. You will be able to obtain his service record from the Veteran's Agency in Glasgow.

Thank you all for the information. I'm not resident in the UK so its difficult to consult records but that information helps a lot.