Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

HM Submarine E24

d kenyon

At the end of 2007/early 2008 there was a discussion about the sinking and subsequent mistaken salvaging of HM Submarine E24, which I found most useful as Walter Hubert Hawke a Leading Seaman and from my village of Hallaton, Leics. was a crew member.

If anyone has a photograph of the crew or possibly of ratings training on HMS Maidstone that would be splendid.

Denis

Welcome to the forum,

Unfortunately identified photographs from this period are not as widespread as we would like. Here's a pre war picture of some of the crew of HMS Maidstone:

http://www.battleships-cruisers.co.uk/depot_ships.htm

Do you have his service record:

Name Hawke, Walter Hubert

Official Number: 237738

Place of Birth: Uppingham, Leicestershire

Date of Birth: 13 September 1890

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...p;resultcount=1

Welcome to the forum,

Unfortunately identified photographs from this period are not as widespread as we would like. Here's a pre war picture of some of the crew of HMS Maidstone:

http://www.battleships-cruisers.co.uk/depot_ships.htm

Do you have his service record:

Name Hawke, Walter Hubert

Official Number: 237738

Place of Birth: Uppingham, Leicestershire

Date of Birth: 13 September 1890

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...p;resultcount=1

Thanks for that. I do have his service record and having seen the photo dated "about 1910" I know he was not on HMS Maidstone at that time.

Denis

Hi Dennis,

sorry to disappoint you but I went through the list I have of photos from the Royal Navy Sub Museum, nothing on E24 crew photos or your man Hawke, and only salvaged photos of her wreck.

As for that HMS Maidstone photo from 1910 on that website, that is a joke from my point. I wrote to that website and told them the photo is not taken on HMS Maidstone at all. Of course they know better. For starters have a close look at the crew, yes they are wearing HMS Maidstone on their tally, but do you notice the chap in the front is wearing the Russian Cross of St George, oh dear, not even taken on HMS Maidstone. This was taken in the Baltic and on the Russian depot ship Dvina as I have several photos taken in the same spot. I can see a couple of E19 men, E1 and so on. My guess would be 1915/1916 for that photo.

I recently viewed a much larger copy of this photo at the sub museum, which was in their Baltic files!

Cheers DB.

Hi Dennis,

sorry to disappoint you but I went through the list I have of photos from the Royal Navy Sub Museum, nothing on E24 crew photos or your man Hawke, and only salvaged photos of her wreck.

As for that HMS Maidstone photo from 1910 on that website, that is a joke from my point. I wrote to that website and told them the photo is not taken on HMS Maidstone at all. Of course they know better. For starters have a close look at the crew, yes they are wearing HMS Maidstone on their tally, but do you notice the chap in the front is wearing the Russian Cross of St George, oh dear, not even taken on HMS Maidstone. This was taken in the Baltic and on the Russian depot ship Dvina as I have several photos taken in the same spot. I can see a couple of E19 men, E1 and so on. My guess would be 1915/1916 for that photo.

I recently viewed a much larger copy of this photo at the sub museum, which was in their Baltic files!

Cheers DB.

Hi Dennis,

not sure what your last posting was as it only has my comments. I have been through hundreds of submariner's papers of late, so if you need any tips send them to me via a Personal message.

Cheers DB

Hi Dennis,

not sure what your last posting was as it only has my comments. I have been through hundreds of submariner's papers of late, so if you need any tips send them to me via a Personal message.

Cheers DB

Darren thanks a lot. I probably goofed as I am not sure what triggers the reply. I had only said "thanks for your effort". A photo may turn up one day.

Denis

Hi Dennis,

i would still write to Debbie Corner re a photo as they do turn up as you say, if not on my list it could be recent & on hers.

Just to back up my comments on that 1910 Maidstone shot from that website, you may take note that the Depot ship HMS Maidstone was in fact commissioned in October 1912, opps!

Cheers DB

DENIS, alittle late& you probably have all of this info BUT ;

HAWKE WALTER HUBERT LDG SEA D/ 237738 NE RN SM E.24

27.03.16 Z 25 130990 B F P PLYMOUTH 11 PLYMOUTH 3 - 184

Killed in loss of vessel in North Sea.

E.24 was sunk by mine explosion, probably whilst on the surface. She was salved by the German Company HARMS, in 1974, and taken to Cuxhaven, Germany. The remains of 25 bodies were recovered and buried in Ohlsdorf Cemetery, Hamburg, where there is also a memorial to the men. Some artifacts were recovered and are in the Wrackmuseum, Duhnen, Cuxhaven.

There also is to be found the conning-tower of H.M. Submarine E.24.

Photo's of the graves, taken by D.A. Feary, are in the R.N. Submarine Museum.

HMS MAIDSTONE. ADM 188 / 422. A.G 315 / 16.

P.o.B ; Uppingham, Leicester. Occ ; Bakers Assistant.

Sadsac

DENIS, alittle late& you probably have all of this info BUT ;

HAWKE WALTER HUBERT LDG SEA D/ 237738 NE RN SM E.24

27.03.16 Z 25 130990 B F P PLYMOUTH 11 PLYMOUTH 3 - 184

Killed in loss of vessel in North Sea.

E.24 was sunk by mine explosion, probably whilst on the surface. She was salved by the German Company HARMS, in 1974, and taken to Cuxhaven, Germany. The remains of 25 bodies were recovered and buried in Ohlsdorf Cemetery, Hamburg, where there is also a memorial to the men. Some artifacts were recovered and are in the Wrackmuseum, Duhnen, Cuxhaven.

There also is to be found the conning-tower of H.M. Submarine E.24.

Photo's of the graves, taken by D.A. Feary, are in the R.N. Submarine Museum.

HMS MAIDSTONE. ADM 188 / 422. A.G 315 / 16.

P.o.B ; Uppingham, Leicester. Occ ; Bakers Assistant.

Yes, I do have all this information but thanks for the thought!

Denis

Sadsac

Hi Denis, for most replies it is best to click on the 'fast reply' tab.

At Kew there is the following Submarine Log ADM 173/1299 Submarine: E24 1916 Mar. 6 - 1916 Mar. 20. This is an original document, not online.

'i would still write to Debbie Corner '

Maybe, but in my experience (and that of others) she generally can't be bothered to respond - even when there is wonga on offer at the prospect of dupes purchasing photos which don't even belong to the museum

Dear All

I have always found Debbie Corner very helpful ,and have always had a response from any inquiry to the Museum.

Colin

• 9 years later...

hi guys just like to say hello to you all as im new to the forum and my reason for joining was because i was searching for info on the e24 submerine as my mothers uncle was one of the crew his name was edwin gange  and saw your tyopic on your forum

Welcome.  A bottle of pickles from E24 for you, Sir

e24_go10.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

ian e24, I researched the family backgrounds of all of the crew of HM Submarine E24, entering as much as I could into a Community on Lives of the First World War. We are just waiting now for the IWM to complete converting the database public and volunteers populated with information, into the permanent digital memorial, when anyone will be able to see it. It was planned that LoFWW should reopen in June, but we have not got a date yet.

• 4 months later...
On 21/06/2019 at 15:30, BridgetM said:

ian e24, I researched the family backgrounds of all of the crew of HM Submarine E24, entering as much as I could into a Community on Lives of the First World War. We are just waiting now for the IWM to complete converting the database public and volunteers populated with information, into the permanent digital memorial, when anyone will be able to see it. It was planned that LoFWW should reopen in June, but we have not got a date yet.

Hi Bridget

I'm sure that you know, but I thought that the rest of the community would like to know that the Lives of the First World War memorial for  HM Submarine E24 is now live at https://livesofthefirstworldwar.iwm.org.uk/community/2769.

Thanks for all your work on behalf of us all.

David Earley

yes thank you to both you and bridget for all the hard work you have done ive had a look and it is fantastic so once again thank you so much and as its almost rememberance day can i just say WE WILL REMEMBER THEM 

I appreciate your thanks. Many others put far more into keeping LoFWW going and entering information, as you may have seen elsewhere in this forum.

• 3 years later...