Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

E Yea, Royal 1st Devon Yeomanry

rendellers

I have just started to research the names on my local war memorial at Highweek Church, Newton Abbot, Devon and this chap is actually in the graveyard. I have been using Ancestry but can't find him on SDGW or his mic (of course it might not have been uploaded yet) His service number seems low to me. Any ideas Name:YEAInitials:E TNationality:United KingdomRank:PrivateRegiment/Service:Royal 1st Devon YeomanryDate of Death:06/02/1919Service No:2733Casualty Type:Commonwealth War DeadGrave/Memorial Reference:N.E.Cemetery:HIGHWEEK (ALL SAINTS) CHURCHYARD EXTENSION

I have just started to research the names on my local war memorial at Highweek Church, Newton Abbot, Devon and this chap is actually in the graveyard. I have been using Ancestry but can't find him on SDGW or his mic (of course it might not have been uploaded yet) His service number seems low to me. Any ideas Name:YEAInitials:E TNationality:United KingdomRank:PrivateRegiment/Service:Royal 1st Devon YeomanryDate of Death:06/02/1919Service No:2733Casualty Type:Commonwealth War DeadGrave/Memorial Reference:N.E.Cemetery:HIGHWEEK (ALL SAINTS) CHURCHYARD EXTENSION

These maybe able to help

http://www.yeosociety.com/index.html

Have you seen his "Pension" record on Ancestry?

Edgar Thomas YEA. Enlisted as 2733 in R. 1st Devon Yeom. at Newton Abbot 14/10/14. Father Mr E Yea, 42 Halcyon Rd, Newton Abbot.

Discharged medically unfit 11/6/15.

Served only at Home (so no MIC). Died post-Armistice (so not in SDGW).

No mention of his death or any chronic illness or injury. You'd probably have to get his death certificate to see what he died of nearly 4 years after discharge.

Adrian

EDIT: He's on someone's family tree on Ancestry, according to which he died on his 20th birthday.

The BMD lists the following:

Yea, Edgar Thomas

birth registered 1st Quarter 1898, at Newton Abbot

death registered 1st quarter 1919, at Newton Abbot, age listed as 20 years

1901 Census stated his age was 3 years in 1901; residing at Newton Abbot

so, if he was born in 1898 and died in 1919, he cannot have died on his 20th birthday in 1919

Regards

Trelawney

Thank you so much everyone. I shall follow this up through Ancestry (which I should have done in the first place!)

Lindsey