Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Shell Covers? Trench Art

johnnie

I have just picked up the two items shown below with a pair of medals to a chap in the MGC. The items were thought to be "trench art" however I have no idea what they are.

Both have been attached to wooden backs, and have loops suggesting they have been hung on the wall.

I haven't seen anything like them before, however all I could think is that they might have been covers for the fuse on a shell due to their size and shape. There are no stamps so I have no idea of use or date.

Any suggestions would be great.

Jonathan

post-11843-1256835976.jpg

They are Fuze Covers which have to be removed at the time of setting the Fuze is fitted to protect the Fuze from damp.

John

Many thanks for that. I did wonder if that is what they were for due to their shape and size. I have also just found a stamp on one. It is on the lower band and states "1412".

Would this relate to anything (date/maker?).

I assume they are British?

Jonathan

Many thanks for that. I did wonder if that is what they were for due to their shape and size. I have also just found a stamp on one. It is on the lower band and states "1412".

Would this relate to anything (date/maker?).

I assume they are British?

Jonathan

Hello, Johnathan - They are the exact shape of German Dopp. Z.92 double-action fuses. Regards, Torrey

I assume this is the same type. I cleaned it up a while back, but didn't ever get around to cleaning the other examples.

post-11843-1256893585.jpg

Many thanks for the reply.

I have put the cover on an example of a No. 85 fuze that I own, and it does not seem to fit quite so well. Can anybody confirm that they are for the No.85 rather than a German fuze.

Jonathan

Many thanks for the reply.

I have put the cover on an example of a No. 85 fuze that I own, and it does not seem to fit quite so well. Can anybody confirm that they are for the No.85 rather than a German fuze.

Jonathan

Hello, Jonathan - For whatever it is worth, the Type 85 fuse covers that I have are basically conical - not shaped at all like your covers. Regards, Torrey

Many thanks for that. They would certainly seem to fit the German (rather than the British) fuze rather snugly.

Jonathan