Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Submarine E5.

Guest Beret

I am seeking information regarding a submarine E5 (Believed based at Harwich).

It went missing sometime during the war off the east coast.

This info is on behalf of a 96 year old lady. Her father Ernest Richard MORRIS was part of the crew.

Arthur.

E5 set out on patrol off the Ems estuary (area off coast of Germany/Holland) 4th March 1916. On the morning of 7th March German destroyers attacked a submarine in the area and a few hours later a submarine was spotted near a minefield. It is believed that E5 fell victim to a mine.

Commanding Officer: Lt Cdr. H. Edwards.

Crew: 33

No survivors.

Ref: The Admiralty Regrets (P. Kemp)

Further to Glosters post:

At 08.10 on the morning of 7th March 1916 the German battle cruiser Seydlitz sighted a submarine north of Juist Island. The cruiser and her accompanying torpedo boats dropped depth charges but to no avail. A few hours later another German cruiser, the Regensburg sighted a submarine to the east, not far from a German minefield of the Western Ems. E5 failed to return from her patrol and it is believed that this was the submarine seen by the Regensburg near the minefield.

Prior to the war on 8 June 1913 an explosion occurred inside E5's Main Engines, resulting in the death of one Officer and two ratings in addition: nine men were badly burned.

Dave

The World War 1 Document Archive at www.gwpda.org states in the table at http://www.gwpda.org/naval/sml00003.htm that E5 was sunk by gunfire from SMS Strassburg.

I'm not sure of the source of this information

Stephen

Hello

If you look on the RN Submarine Museum website they will have a comprehensive list of losses. Their archives may also have part of his service details.

Also a CWGC search for the individual would give other details.

Cheers

Richard

• 1 year later...

Just came across this baecause of the recent mention of E 5 on the Chatham Memorial thread.

I maintain the fate information for the uboat.net website and also help divers identify WWI submarine wrecks (German and British). Several previously missing British submarines have been located and identified in recent years off the Dutch and German coasts. There are a few unidentified wrecks as well. At this point, I am not aware of any wrecks that have been located that could reasonably be E 5.

Best wishes,

Michael

Arthur, the RN Submarine Museum states that E5 was "presumed" mined because SMS Regensburg had reported sighting an enemy submarine in the vicinity of a minefield at the appropriate time.

Best wishes

David