Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Transport lists

doogal

On the service record I have, every major movement for the soldier (ie from training down to Folkestone, from Folkestone to France etc) is matched with a list number "list xxx" and "list yyy"

And the question is --- which parts of the Army/railways/British administration would assign and draw up these lists, and where can they be found today if they still exist?

Has this been covered elsewhere onthe forum? If this is the case, I would be grateful could someone provide the link.

For reference, the soldier is my gt grandfather, serving in the 2/5th Duke of Wellingtons (West Riding Regiment), travelling to France in early 1917

with thanks

doogal

• 3 weeks later...

Doogal

Have just seen this post.

If you get an answer I will also be very interested. I have been searching for a listing of 6th Batt Northumberland Fusiliers as they sailed for France in 1915 and have not struck lucky so far.

I've even tried the post office archives.

Some Battalions have excellent lists in their War History but there is no such History for the 6th NF.

Kate

Hi Kate,

Once I've managed to trace who, where and why regarding these lists, I will post, but unfortunately I've got absolutely nowhere so far in even tracking down whether these lists were regimental, divisional, corps or BEF defined - or even a mish mash of all (most likely)

In the meantime, (to all Pals on the Forum) - has anyone had any success finding out any details about these lists? I'm referring to lists that would be recorded at the end of each line of a soldiers movement, posting or similar activity.

Considering time was spent recording such details, one would think at least the remants would remain somewhere.

the search continues...

rgds

doogal