Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Harold Hopkins in the Navy?

Guest ryan

Hello!

A photo portrait of my Great Grandfaher used to hang on my Gran's living room wall. He was dressed in an old Navy uniform and my Gran says that he served during WW1, however, I don't know if this is true. Is there anyway that somebody could perform some sort of search to find out? I do not posess any naval info regarding my Great Grandfather:

Harold Stanley Hopkins, b. 1897 in Exeter, Devon.

Harold married Mabel Williams (nee, Munson), they had three sons:

Colin Hopkins, Dennis Hopkins and my Grandfather - David Anthony Hopkins.

Thanks!

Ryan:

Welcome to the Forum!

Could you scan the photo of your grandfather in his Naval uniform and post here

on the Forum? Might help you in your quest for info!

gordon

Hello Ryan... or should I say Fry? ;)

Naval papers for ratings up to late 1920s are available at the PRO, category ADM188. This will list date of enlistment, service details and postings. You can also get naval medal rolls and other items. Best to find out his service number first(from medals, perhaps) to cut down researcher's time and your money, but should be about £10 to get a copy of it. If he was a submariner, there may be more details at the Submarine Museum, Gosport.

Cheers

Richard

• 11 months later...
Hello Ryan... or should I say Fry? ;)

Naval papers for ratings up to late 1920s are available at the PRO, category ADM188. This will list date of enlistment, service details and postings. You can also get naval medal rolls and other items. Best to find out his service number first(from medals, perhaps) to cut down researcher's time and your money, but should be about £10 to get a copy of it. If he was a submariner, there may be more details at the Submarine Museum, Gosport.

Cheers

Richard

Hi guys,

Thanks so much for your replies. Even though I took so long to reply :blink: your advice will prove to be useful.

My sincerest thanks again!!

If you go to Kew, you should find both his medal entitlement and his service number in the Royal Navy ratings medal roll in ADM 171/105 and then the service register will be in ADM 188, as Dick said, and they are in service number order.