Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

19th Londons; Festubert April 15th 1915

Guest Austin Colle

Guest Austin Colle

Hi, could anyone shed some light on how my Grandfathers brother George Edward Colle died at Festubert on 15th April 1915

his number was 3209 19th Bn London

Died aged 17

What action took place that day

AC

No specific action on that day,maybe the normal probing of defences or attrition of the trenches through sniping,shelling,raiding etc. The Cemetery where George is buried has no other casualty for that day buried in his vicinity. On each side of his grave,Section II A 3 has a soldier buried on 3/4/1915 and II A 5 one buried on 26/5/1915,so it looks very much like an isolated casualty. I have recently read of sniping actitivy in that sector at that time where the Germans set up accurate measures on our armoured observation slits and any firing or mvement perceived would receive a response.

The Battle of Festubert would not arise until a month later,though obviously the trenches there were manned well before that time.

Sotonmate

IIRC this was one of their first "tours" in the trenches after the Division arrived in March and the Divisional History does mention the sniper activity.

Austin

The 1/19th War Diary actually omits 15 April 1915 for some reason, probably because the entries from 10 to 14 April are the same (and the 15th was too). The 10 April to 14 April comments are: "One company to trench-line and two for digging". On 12 April one man was killed and on 14 April one man was killed. For the 16th, it has: "Rest. Cleaning and inspection of billets and huts(?)". The CO should have noticed that the 15th was missing when he signed off at the end of the month, but he did not.

I hope this helps.

Mike

Hi, could anyone shed some light on how my Grandfathers brother George Edward Colle died at Festubert on 15th April 1915

his number was 3209 19th Bn London

Died aged 17

What action took place that day