Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lieut E W Lindeberg, a swede in RAF

LarsA

Erik William Lindeberg was born in Glasgow by Swedish parents (having just emigrated from Sweden to work as Medical Gymnasts/Masseurs) in 1899. Educated at Glasgow High School and serving in the OTC, he applied for a commission in the RFC. At first turned down because of uncertainty of nationality, he was accepted in the RAF as being born in Britain.

Serving with 24th Squadron he is credited with 4 our 5 victories depending on the source.

As the current caretaker of his medals (pair) I'd be very grateful if anyone has seen a photo of him or have any details of his post war career as a doctor in Friockheim, Scotland.

Bill Lambert's "Combat report" and the Sqn history by Illingsworth/Robeson are on the way from Amazon, so I will soon be able to check them, but as far as I know they do not contain any photos of him.

Kind regards,

Lars

Lars

According to The SE 5 File, 2Lt E W Lindeberg was credited with the following victories in 1918:

while flying SE 5a C5301, a two-seater out of control east of Bellenglise at 13:15 on 11 March (shared with the pilots of B125, B8257, C6397 and C9494);

while flying SE 5a B63, a scout crashed near Mons at 10:00 on 24 March;and

while flying SE 5a C1861, an Albatros Dv out of control near Moreul at 11:30 on 6 June.

In addition, RAF Communique No 2 credits him with a victory over a blue and grey Pfalz Scout which crashed near a wood on 12 April.

His undercarriage collapsed while landing SE 5a B8252 on 18 March.

I hope that this is useful.

Gareth

• 2 weeks later...

Is this him?

British Medical Journal 26/04/1924

UNIVERSITY OF GLASGOW.

THE following candidates have been approved at the examination

indicated:

FINAL M.B., E.W. Lindeberg

Yes, it is him. He had his practice in Friockheim, Angus, and was active until the 1950s I believe. Unfortunately I have not seen any obituary in the BMJ, but that could be due to my substandard use of their search engine.

ATB,

Lars

• 7 months later...

I live near Friockheim.

He may have had an obituary in the old local newspapers being a doctor and all. Next time I'm in the library I'll have a look.

Cheers,

Derek.

• 1 month later...

Derek, "Ardua"; mnany thanks for your replies which I have not noticed until today with the excellent new possibility for checking older posts.

I'll download from NA, think I only have two of the pages. Also, anything like an obituary would be greatly appreciated,

ATB,

Lars