Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RGA WAR DIARY

mo44th

:rolleyes: I have a copy of the RGA War Diary for 31st December 1914 to 12 May 1916

HISTORICAL RECORD OF THE 15TH SIEGE BATTERYY RGA FOR YEAR ENDING 31ST MARCH 1915

The Battery was formed at Sheerness on 31st December 1914 under

Major R H Parker RGA by drafts from 17.18, 19 and 22 Companies RGA Sheerness.

It was called 15th Siege company RGA

on 1st February 1915 the company moved to Lydd for Siege training and practice.

signed G B MacKenzie, Lt Col.

Cmdg. 15 Siege Batty. RGA dated Fareham 20.5.1915

Stamped RGA RECORDS

DOVER

26 MAY 1915

In this diary there are several soldiers named, among which is my Gt. Uncle Hugh Petrie

Bombardier, Severely wounded 12th April 1916. He is buried at Doullon. The transcription of these diaries is my tribute to him and the many brave souls who made the ultimate sacrifice for us.

I will be happy to provide any help to anyone wanting some info on the diary.

Alison

• 2 weeks later...
is there a george mc cabe in them

Hi there, I can't tell you off hand but if you give me a couple of days, I shall have a look. Do you have a specific date or area? That may help me as the diaries are dated fairly clearly from 1st January 1915 through to 12th May 1916. I will see what I can find. It is a bit of a slog, but hey it keeps me out of mischief!

Regards Alison

• 2 weeks later...
Hi there, I can't tell you off hand but if you give me a couple of days, I shall have a look. Do you have a specific date or area? That may help me as the diaries are dated fairly clearly from 1st January 1915 through to 12th May 1916. I will see what I can find. It is a bit of a slog, but hey it keeps me out of mischief!

Regards Alison

Hello again, I have got to page 11 of the War Diary but have not come across your McCabe yet, but will keep a look out as work plods on with the transcription

Regards, Alison

• 1 month later...
:rolleyes: I have a copy of the RGA War Diary for 31st December 1914 to 12 May 1916

HISTORICAL RECORD OF THE 15TH SIEGE BATTERY RGA FOR YEAR ENDING 31ST MARCH 1915

The Battery was formed at Sheerness on 31st December 1914 under

Major R H Parker RGA by drafts from 17.18, 19 and 22 Companies RGA Sheerness.

It was called 15th Siege company RGA

on 1st February 1915 the company moved to Lydd for Siege training and practice.

signed G B MacKenzie, Lt Col.

Cmdg. 15 Siege Batty. RGA dated Fareham 20.5.1915

Stamped RGA RECORDS

DOVER

26 MAY 1915

In this diary there are several soldiers named, among which is my Gt. Uncle Hugh Petrie

Bombardier, Severely wounded 12th April 1916. He is buried at Doullon. The transcription of these diaries is my tribute to him and the many brave souls who made the ultimate sacrifice for us.

I will be happy to provide any help to anyone wanting some info on the diary.

Alison

Alison

Thank you for this information on the 15th Siege Battery and Drafts from the Sheerness RGA Companies.

I interested the the diary information of the formation of the battery and the complete entry for the 31st December and if any of the men concerned from 18Coy are listed. (I expect not.) Also, was Hugh Petrie in 18 Coy?

Mike

• 2 weeks later...
Alison

Thank you for this information on the 15th Siege Battery and Drafts from the Sheerness RGA Companies.

I interested the the diary information of the formation of the battery and the complete entry for the 31st December and if any of the men concerned from 18Coy are listed. (I expect not.) Also, was Hugh Petrie in 18 Coy?

Mike

There are no men actually listed from what I remember. I have been away over Christmas and New Year and have not been too well so haven't looked but hopefully will get some time over the coming weekend so will get back to you. I actually have a great deal of info on Hugh Petrie as he was my Grandfather's brother. I am still hunting up information about him and have visited his grave in Doullon. What I am hoping to do is, as I am transcribing the war diary, I hope to list the men mentioned but it looks like it will take some time,but what else have I got to do anyway. The whole diary intrigues me., so I will get back to you eventually Mike. Thanks for your interest.

Regards, Alison.

• 13 years later...

Hi Alison, wondered if you have come across, 48871 Gunner/Corporal/Sergeant George Wade MM, many thanks, Paul

• Admin

@mo44th hasn’t visited the forum since 2014. My tag might alert them to your post. 

Paul,

The 15 Sge Bty war diary that Alison has only covers from Dec14 to Mar16. You can download it freely for yourself by simply signing up to our National Archives (email requirement) here:

Army Troops. 70 Brigade Royal Garrison Artillery. 15 Siege Battery Royal Garrison... | The National Archives

WO95/323/4 is for the diary of 15 Sge Bty.

If however you are wishing to find out anything to do possibly concerning the MM to Cpl Wade (Sept 1918) then you require the war diary of the Brigade that they (15 SB) came under as a component battery during 1918 which was 70 Brigade RGA. Again free to download.

WO95/323/1 70 Brigade war diary

WO95/323/2 contains the ASC diary (movements of guns of 15 SB) which is also worth reading.

Rgds Paul