Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The M.I.D. oak leaf on Victory medal ribbon

20th Division

Hope a Pal out there with knowledge of medals can help.

A friend has his Fathers "trio" with ONE M.I.D. Oak leaf on the Victory medal ribbon --BUTwas mentioned-in-despatches on TWO occasions. Is he entitled therefore to TWO oak leaves? etc?

THANKS. Dave .

No - in British practice - I don't have the chapter and verse, trust me, but perhaps another member can provide it - you wore one oakleaf and one oakleaf only regardless of the number of Mentions. (I think the record is nine?)

To be a pedant, yes, he is entitled to two oakleaves - the full-size one for wear on the ribbon of the full-size medal, and a half-size one to be worn on the ribbon on the uniform when ribbons only are worn.

The MiD Emblem was granted much later after then end of the War,The recipient of a Mention would have received a Certificate for each mention however,The Emblem could be granted however for OTHER Campaigns so in theory a Man mentioned in The Sudan,1914~1919,who received the Khedives Medal,India who recieved the IGS with a 1919 Afghanistan NWF Clasp & a GSM with a Kurdistan,Iraq,or NW Persia Clasp would have an emblem on each!!if he had been fortunate to have been mentioned for each campaign,But if he had been mentioned any number of times for WW1 & Campaigns that the BWM & Victory Medal covered only 1 Emblem would be granted!

The MiD Emblem was granted much later after then end of the War,The recipient of a Mention would have received a Certificate for each mention however,The Emblem could be granted however for OTHER Campaigns so in theory a Man mentioned in The Sudan,1914~1919,who received the Khedives Medal,India who recieved the IGS with a 1919 Afghanistan NWF Clasp & a GSM with a Kurdistan,Iraq,or NW Persia Clasp would have an emblem on each!!if he had been fortunate to have been mentioned for each campaign,But if he had been mentioned any number of times for WW1 & Campaigns that the BWM & Victory Medal covered only 1 Emblem would be granted!

HI Staffsyeoman and Harry---------------Many thanks for your help and advice-I will pass it on.

Really appreciated. Best wishes Dave.

Can't add anything more with regards to original question but in reply to Phil about the record for Mentions, I think I can go one better. I've read somewhere that Brigadier-General W. D. Croft DSO (3 bars) was Mentioned ten times for his service in the Great War. I haven't (as yet) checked the Gazette to find them all, but I wonder if there is anyone out there can offer more than ten? I also seem to remember reading somewhere (I really should take proper notes!) that General Dick O'Connor was Mentioned in despatches 14 times, although I gather that over his entire service. Be interested to see what other pals have to offer.

I recently researched Croft for another thread, but haven't checked whether any other officer was mentioned more during WWI. Does anyone have details of how many times Bernard Cyril Freyberg, first Baron Freyberg VC GCMG KCB KBE DSO & 3 Bars K St J was Mentioned in Dispatches in WW2?

There are details of the service records of many WWII officers (and a few other ranks) on this website. According to it, O'Connor received 13 Mentions, 9 in 1915-19, 1 in Palestine in 1939 and 3 in WWII. Freyberg received 3 Mentions in WWII, giving him a total of 8.

The MiD Emblem was granted much later after then end of the War,The recipient of a Mention would have received a Certificate for each mention however>><<

However, I believe that if the recipient was killed/died during the Great War, the NoK would receive the Certificate, but not the emblem?

David

...if the recipient was killed/died during the Great War, the NoK would receive the Certificate, but not the emblem?

I know that this happened with regard to the Rose emblem of the 1914 Clasp{the NoK received ONLY the Clasp,as no ribbon bar would be worn},but am not sure regards to the Oak Leaf emblem;I would have thought the full size emlem would be issued but not he Ribbon bar sized one??... Any one confirm from KiA/DoAS MiCs with MiD??

I know that this happened with regard to the Rose emblem of the 1914 Clasp{the NoK received ONLY the Clasp,as no ribbon bar would be worn},but am not sure regards to the Oak Leaf emblem;I would have thought the full size emlem would be issued but not he Ribbon bar sized one??... Any one confirm from KiA/DoAS MiCs with MiD??
THANKS to all for your help. Cheers. Dave.

I am finding this hard to tell from the personal evidence (you never know what is missing and the old "absence of evidence is not evidence of absence" rule applies.

My grandmother received a covering letter with her late husband's pair of medals; she also received a covering letter with the two MiD certificates - but the latter made no reference to the MiD emblem. That might indicate that the emblems were not issued if the recipient was deceased?

My Grandfather's MiD card has no details on it other than the gazetting date.

David

My Grandfather's MiD card has no details on it other than the gazetting date.

The note on the emblems is usually on the campaign medals Medal Index Card.

The note on the emblems is usually on the campaign medals Medal Index Card.

I have never fully decoded my Grandfather's Medal Index Card:

H%20Faulder;%20Medal%20Card.jpg

but I don't think there is any reference to his two MiDs.

David