Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Trench Map

rksimpson

Hi

Does anyone have a trench map for the 11 btn Royal Scots at Ploegsteert for April 1916 so I can place where Peter McIntosh was killed. He is buried in Rifle House Cemetery in the wood near "Plugstreet"

many thanks

regards

Robert

:unsure:

Hi Robert

The 11th btn Royal Scots were in trenches 113-120 during April 1916. However on the day of the recorded death of Peter McIntosh (25/4/1916) the war diary has them out of the front line in billets undergoing training for bomb throwing and providing 390 men for working parties. It notes that casualties were suffered amongst the working party on the 24/25 April. I am sorry I do not have a map of the trenches but I think they ran south from the south east tip of Ploegsteert Wood towards Le Touquet.

Hope this is of some help.

Mike

Does anyone have a trench map for the 11 btn Royal Scots at Ploegsteert for April 1916 so I can place where Peter McIntosh was killed. He is buried in Rifle House Cemetery in the wood near "Plugstreet"

many thanks

regards

Robert

:unsure:

Hi

Thanks Jon & Mike for your replies

appreciate your help and guidance

regards

Robert

:rolleyes:

Hi Lynx

Just a thought and I did not realise this before, if they were not in the front lines as you suggest, then what happened. Was it a shell or did grenade training go wrong and take him out or did something happen in the working party?

Will probably never know but it would be nice

regards

Robert

^_^

Hi all

another Question please?

How do you tell where the 11th RS were on the map with regards to the trenches and I presume ours were blue and the Germans red? Is this a convention that was on all maps?

regards

Robert

If you can get an extract of the War Diary, it may say where the billets were (a farm, small village, town, or the like - maybe Ploegsteert itself). The name of that location may be on the trench map - but it may not. The billets were presumably relatively far enough behind the lines that the location might not show on a trench map. It would depend on the scale.

The convention of colouring changed during the War (it's late and I can't recall the date) so you have to be careful to be sure who's who. It was usually stated on the edge of the map.

Rifle House Cemetery is right in Ploegsteert Wood. Rifle House is marked on the trench map posted above. The last burials were in June 1916.

However, no matter the location of the billets, it is most likely that your man was in the working party as no mention is made of casualties in the bomb-throwing exercise. The diary may mention where the work parties were or what they were doing. That may indicate that they were near or at the front.

Regards, Antony

Hi Antony

appreicate your comments

thanks for the help

regards

Robert

^_^