Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A bit of a mystery...

xlollx

I'm wondering if anyone can help (I'm sure you can!) :D )

My friend has come across a diary in his grandfathers posessions. The diary dates from 1915 onwards and is someones recount of his experiences in the trenches (in France). IT makes a fascinating but unpleasant read, with one of his friends being hit by a shell, being buried under earth with only hands and feet exposed.

My friends grandfathers family name is Ososki so we believe that this diary belonged to Nathan Ososki (taken from CWWG)

Name: OSOSKI, NATHAN Initials: N Nationality: United Kingdom Rank: Rifleman Regiment/Service: Rifle Brigade Unit Text: 11th Bn. Date of Death: 04/04/1917 Service No: B/200156 Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead Grave/Memorial Reference: A. 16. Cemetery: NEUVILLE-BOURJONVAL BRITISH CEMETERY

We do not know ANYTHING about Nathan Ososki apart from what is written on the CWWG website, so my first plea is for anyone who can give me more information about him.

In the diary, two names are written. I can just about make out the pencil marks as being Private J Caust (may be wrong), service number is 14488 and he was in the 12th KLR (which I presume was the Kings Liverpool Regiment). From the little research I have done, I know that the 12th KLR and 11th Rifle Brigade were under the same infantry. Can anyone tell me more about this Caust guy?

The next name is impossible to make out but the service number is 1936 (i think?) and he was in the 5th KLR.

Any help regarding ANY of the above people would be gladly appreciated.

Thankyou.

Hi

You might have this already

Cheers

Atnomis

Name: Nathan Ososki

Birth Place: Bow

Residence: London

Death Date: 4 Apr 1917

Enlistment Location: Bow, Middx.

Regiment: Rifle Brigade (The Prince Consort's Own)

Battalion: 11th Battalion.

Number: B/200156

Type of Casualty: Killed in action

Comments: Formerly 4499, London Regt.

I wonder if this soldier would be a possibility for your Private J Caust ?? ......

Medal card of Court, James

Liverpool Regiment 14488 Private

Date

1914-1920

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...;resultcount=78

Do any of these names look familiar ? :)

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...mp;mediaarray=*

The third man may be Daniel H Harrison, Pte 1936 Liverpool Regiment.

The date of entry on his MIC is 21st Feb 1915. LLT gives the 5th Battalion date of entry as 22nd Feb.

He transferred later to the Lancashire Fusiliers (325134).

Phil

Thanks for that!

I think you are right :). I think it is Private James Court, Liverpool Regiment 14488

and the other soldier could be Harrison, 1936.

I wonder why Nathan Ososki (if it is his personal diary) would put these two guys names in it! I'll scan in parts of the diary if I get a chance.

I wonder if this soldier would be a possibility for your Private J Caust ?? ......

Medal card of Court, James

Date

1914-1920

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...;resultcount=78

Do any of these names look familiar ? :)

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...mp;mediaarray=*

Just as an aside .... I found another Ososki from Bow here .... wonder if it's a relation ?? ;)

OSOSKI

Simon

B. 26

Master Hairdresser

54 Campbell Road, Bow

Abraham Ososki, Dec'd. Gasfitter

FISHER

Leah

S. 23

Tailoress

51 Lincoln St

Hyman Fisher, Tailor

M. Dancyger

Abraham Dancyger

http://www.jgsgb.org.uk/SandysRowSynagogueMarriages.htm

Annie :)

Good Evening,

Yes, Simon Ososki and Leah Ososki (nee Fisher) are my friends Great Grandparents. Infact my friend Shimon is named after Simon Ososki. Nathan Ososki is related to them in some way, but I'm not quite sure yet...

Just as an aside .... I found another Ososki from Bow here .... wonder if it's a relation ?? ;)

OSOSKI

Simon

B. 26

Master Hairdresser

54 Campbell Road, Bow

Abraham Ososki, Dec'd. Gasfitter

FISHER

Leah

S. 23

Tailoress

51 Lincoln St

Hyman Fisher, Tailor

M. Dancyger

Abraham Dancyger

http://www.jgsgb.org.uk/SandysRowSynagogueMarriages.htm

Annie :)

I found this ... ( but Andy Pay will be the one to tell you the real story ! )

As Nathan's date of death is 4 April 1917 .......

On 30 March, the 2nd, 10th and 11th Rifle Brigade attacked in line towards Dessart Wood near Cambrai. A successful operation that saw among the 11th Battalion just four killed and forty-four wounded.

This was also the case on 4 April when the 11th again led the assault. This time on Metzen-Couture and Havrincourt Wood .....

At 3.35 pm the leading companies went forward over ground thick with snow. The troops on the right protected by a ridge faired well, but those on the left would be soon cut down by machine gun fire directed from the extreme west corner of Havrincourt Wood. Moving on, however, "B" Company on the right put its machine guns to good use and by 7 pm the wood was reported as having been cleared of the enemy. Casualties among the 11th Rifle Brigade had amounted to thirty-eight killed, eighty-two wounded. Another great success, but this time at a much higher cost

Attached is one of the 11th RB's casualty lists for April 1917

post-7335-1255822978.jpeg

• 4 years later...

From Alan Wright.

Nathan Ososki is my Great Uncle. He was the brother of my Grandfather, Samuel Ososki and his wife Jennie. I'm interested to hear more about him and this diary, if it's still in existence. I realise the original thread was in 2009.

Further to earlier, Samuel Ososki had two brothers, Nathan and Simon/Simeon/Shimon, and possible one sister, Rebeccah. Simon was known in the family as Simmie. My Aunt has (Nathan's niece) who is 95, has spoken of Simon in the past - but of course didn't know Nathan as he died before she was born. Nathan's brother, Samuel, had 10 children who lived (my mother was one of the 10). There is now only one left -Daphne (95).

Hello Alan,

Welcome to the Forum and thank you for tipping me off about the thread.

I don't know if you have looked at the CWGC listing since they have added the documents. Click here.

Interestingly, the adjacent grave also has a Jewish headstone and is that of Morris Goldberg, from Whitechapel, with a service number very close to Nathan's.

Phil

Thanks Phil

Yes I knew about Morris Goldberg and Nathan, they were both Jewish. In fact my 95-year-old aunt is still in occasional touch with Morris's nephew - he phoned her out of the blue a few years ago. I may have some more info I can add when I get a moment. I'm interested in the diary mentioned at the start of this thread. There were I believe three other Ososkis killed in WW1 - David, Horace and Louis - but they are not on the CWGC website; perhaps their bodies were repatriated. They may have come from Sheffield.

Alan

Alan,

I think that David, Horace and Louis survived, if I have the right people.

David, born Sept Qu. 1883, Sheffield RD, died Dec Qu. 1961, Sheffield RD (age 78).

Horace, born June Qu. 1882, Ecclesall Bierlow RD, died Dec Qu. 1927, Ecclesall B. RD (age 45).

Louis, born March Qu. 1890, West Ham RD. Death registration not found.

They are the three with medal index cards on the NA.

However, there is a Lewis Ososki, born Dec Qu. 1879, Ecclesall B. RD, died Sept Qu. 1947, Sheffield RD ( age 67).

He was in partnership with other members of the family. Click here.

I haven't found any military records for him linking him to WW1 service, so far.

Phil

Hi,

I have a D. Osoki of the KOYLI on the St Peters Church Roll of Honour on Abbeydale road, Sheffield.

Another D. Osoki #116204 MGC on the Wilson Road Synagogue Roll of Honour in Sheffield, his British War medal was sold on EBay in January this year, his father was stated to be called Abraham and was from Poland.

Also a H. Osoki of the KOYLI also on the Wilson road Roll.

Dean.

Thanks Dean - I don't think this is any branch of our family; we are Ososki with an extra "s"!

Thank to this site, I'm now in touch with a whole branch of the Ososki family I never knew existed. Thanks to those of you who've hrlped achieve this.

Alan.

• 3 years later...

Hello,

I know this was a long time ago, but I'm working on a project preserving Jewish experience during the First World War and was doing a profile on Nathan Ososki as he is in our records as being a member of the Jewish Lads and Girls' Brigade when I saw your post. If you are interested in getting in touch and sending some information regarding the diary you have it's exactly the sort of thing we're trying to preserve on our online exhibition. Below is a link to another soldier who kept a diary, Louis Harris, so you can see what we do

https://www.jewsfww.london/louis-harris-1948.php

https://www.jewsfww.london/louis-harris-diary-1991.php

please do contact us through the contact us section of our site if you'd like to talk

thanks

We Were There Too Team

• 1 month later...

Interesting as this theme keeps popping up regarding the 11th Rifle Brigade. The battalion did have a good contingent of Jewish soldiers in the ranks. However one soldiers discharge papers has come to light which made one wonder.

"Having enlisted under a misapprehension as to their being a Jews Battalion.'

Andy

miuk1914a_083882-00092.jpg

Edited by stiletto_33853