Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Which regiment please

unitedsound

I know that this soldier's first name is George and that he is a Scot.

The rear of the photo says he was listed as missing after Mons.

Can anyone identify his Regiment please?

Sorry about photo quality, best I can do.

TIA David

post-34757-1255804064.jpg

Thistle collar badge Royal Scots perhaps?? Colour Sgt?? Rob

Search of SGGW with the parameters (i)20th to 28th August, (ii)first name GEORGE and (iii)Rank Sgts throws up L/Sgt 10368 George MUIR 2nd Bn A&SH b. Devonport, Devon. e. Paisley, Renfrewshire. KIA 26/8/14(after Mons) no known grave, commerated on the LA FERTE-SOUS-JOUARRE MEMORIAL

Kevin

I know that this soldier's first name is George and that he is a Scot.

The rear of the photo says he was listed as missing after Mons.

Can anyone identify his Regiment please?

Sorry about photo quality, best I can do.

TIA David

100% not A&SH they have intertwined circles as collar dogs, if the photo is pre Mons, I'd guess KOSB and definately a decorated Sgt or Colour Sgt but neither loos like a QSA or KSA.

This is the collar badge that made me think it was RS. The KOSB collar is a castle with three towers.

Aye Rob

post-56-1255844830.jpg

Thanks to everyone for responding.

I've tried photographing the image again (scanner not working) but still cannot improve on above.

Looking at the image closely however I would say that Rob Bulloch's assertion is pretty good.

thanks

David

ps 2Bn RS were apparently in action on 23rd at Mons. Searching for my SDGW disc!

• 1 month later...

The penny is beginning to drop that this may be in fact be my Great Uncle, David Meikle, whose army career is briefly described in my signature. The brother closest to him was called George but he was not killed in the Great War.

Can anyone help me with the era of this Royal Scots uniform?

Also what could these medals possibly be for?

I know that David was sergeant by 1908 and that he was still a coal miner in 1901. He had also been seconded to 12HLI in July 1916.

Any further help would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

David

• 4 months later...

Still trying to identify the soldier pictured at the top of this thread! The back of the photo says "uncle killed at Mons". As far as I know I have only one GU killed in WW1 and he was killed in July 1917 near Ypres.

The soldier appears to have been correctly identified as a colour sergeant in the Royal Scots.

My great uncle was a sergeant by 1908 in the Royal Scots. I don't know if he achieved colour sergeant at a later date. But adding to the confusion is that he was transferred to the HLI when he volunteered to go to the Front in 1916.

It struck me tonight that his MIC shows him as a sergeant. If he was a colour sergeant would his MIC show him as a colour sergeant?

Would someone transferred to another regiment keep his rank as colour sergeant? Or would he be known as a sergeant?

Please help as this is driving me nuts.....LOL!