Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

New Russian movie on KOLCHAK

John Gilinsky

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_v_rqYZJk6A

Youtube has the above Part 1 (of 12 parts) of a new 2008 Russian released movie on the 1914 to 1919 career and life of Admiral Kolchak. Great dramatic and very well done scenes of Russian trench fighting during war and civil war and naval engagements in Baltic as well as Black Sea fleet at Sevastopol during revolutionary years. Highly recommended movie for those interested in the Russian navy and the Eastern Front during the war. About 1/3 of the film focuses on the period 1915 to early months of the 1917 Revolution. White armies are shown under Kolchak in action as well.

Official film's website is here:

http://admiralfilm.ru/

John

Toronto

Thank you, John.... this is compelling stuff, and I'm really enjoying it. Now that the Soviet era has finished, it's fascinating to see how Russians depict their pre-Revolution history. I've just watched the first part of this film, and am anxious to see what happens in that minefield !

Phil

Well we all know of course that they can't kill off Kolchak at the start of the movie when he is merely a captain or at the start of the war etc....! Don't forget to watch the 3 or 4 parts where land fighting in the Baltics is supported by Kolchak's ships - pretty well done actually in my opinion.

John

Toronto

Some and arguably only a few pre-1991 USSR films actually dealt with the period 1905 - 1917 reasonably if not sympathetically - Quiet Flows the Don (see my other topic started on this movie) is just such a film.

John

Nice movie thanks for posting! Of course they changed some facts a bit to fit the story, such as the mining of the SMS Friedrich Carl. This is a war theatre that generally receives scant attention.

You are welcome Robert. Interestingly that the focus on naval mine warfare is appropriate as the Russians were extremely successful in this method of warfare both in the Baltic and especially the Black Sea during the war. The German warship was sunk in 1914 of course and without any Russian warships nearby. Still the movie's dramatic effects are heightened by the modern cinematic technological (computer assisted of course) digital special effects.

John

Toronto

John, Please tell me which episode contains scenes of the trench warfare against the Germans, I seem to have missed it...

Phil

Phil (and others): Here is the specific segement -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYDwyc66GC0&NR=1

Part 3 starting from 4:18

John

Toronto

Thanks John ....that's great ! What hair raising stuff ! Very encouraging to see the Russians are taking such an interest in their Great War : for too long it's been overshadowed by WW2. In the same vein, it was gratifying to see a similar French renaissance with their movie A Very Long Engagement.

How did the Canadian film on Passchendaele perform ? That was on parade a year or two back, if I'm right.

Phil