Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sanctuary Wood, near Hooge

pmaasz

Just a little snippet that I came across in the history of the 5th (RI) Lancers and which was of interest to me, and I hope to others:

Sanctuary Wood: so called because it was a sanctuary for men who had become detached from their units in October 1914.

Hi,

2/Suffolks in july 1915 called it 'Sanitary Wood'

Cnock

• 2 months later...

The Drieblotenbos (Hogebos) have his name "Sanctuary Wood" because the wood was the place in November 1914 during the First Battle of Ypres were soldiers resting. An resting place for the troops. The story goes that the soldiers were brought together under the command of General Bulfin from the 2nd Brigade who assured them that they "in sanctuary" and were never without his consent could be involved in the fighting.

In his diary for 13 November 1914, Major G. D. 'Ma' Jeffreys of 2/Grenadier Guards wrote that the battalion went to Sanctuary Wood, so called because 'it had so far not been shelled'. Craster, Fifteen Rounds a Minute, p. 140.

Just a little snippet that I came across in the history of the 5th (RI) Lancers and which was of interest to me, and I hope to others:

Sanctuary Wood: so called because it was a sanctuary for men who had become detached from their units in October 1914.