Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bailleul steam mill

Chris_Baker

Forum members may be aware of a steam mill that was situated on the west side of Bailleul (Flanders). I'd be grateful for any information about this mill: what it did, how big it was, its condition by 1918. Pointers to any photographs would also be most valuable.

Sorry Chris, with so many posts it is easy to miss things at times.

Manu Brill in Bailleul is your man for this. He has a big collection of images of the area and has carried out archaeological work here. I will see if I can find his email address.

Was it Bailleul ?

Highly interesting topic ! A lot of mills have been destroyed in ww1 and were never rebuilt

Someone in Villeneuve d'Ascque (near Lille, Nord departement) or in Rosendaat (The Netherlands) or in Belgium (Molenecho's) might be very helpfull.

Gilbert Deraedt

To Chris Baker,

Caestre (West area of Bailleul) had a ' steam mill '. Caestre is not that far from Bailleul. (Département du Nord, France). I do have a pre-ww1 postcard of that Caestre 'steam mill ' . If interested, i can send a scan. Please send off-forum an email address. Thanks.

Gilbert Deraedt

• 1 month later...

Information given at Bailleul says that there is no photo of a steammill at Bailleul.

Gilbert Deraedt