Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1st Battn Essex Regiment

ColinSm

I am researching family and am at a brick wall. I have found Alfred Long born 1887 in Bridgwater, Somerset, in the 1911 census. It shows that he was serving in either B or F Company, 1st Battn Essex regiment at Quetta, Baluchistan, India. I believe that he served during WW1, but I know nothing other than what is on the 1911 census.

I have even tried looking for the regimental history on the net but can find up to the Boer War and nothing between then and WW1. Can anyone help me please?

I have found a couple of Medal entitlement cards at Ancestry.com, but they do not give sufficient information to say which, if either is the correct person.

I would like to find out when he enlisted, where, what he did, where he served, etc. The whole box and dice.

Any assistance would be much appreciated. I cannot attend TNA as I live in Western Australia.

Attached his obituary from the Regimental Journal.

He landed at W beach Gallipoli with 1st Essex on 25th April 1915. He went through Gallipoli unscathed and went on to serve in France . He was wounded on 1st July 1916 with 1st Essex at Beaumont Hamel, (where my great great uncle was killed, see avatar) as a Cpl. He was wounded again as Cpl in March 1918 with 1st Essex but I don't have the exact date. His MM was gazetted on 11th November 1916, possible for 1st day of the Somme. Can't help you on 1917.

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/298...pplements/10926

The war diary for 1st Essex covering 1st July is available online.

I have photos of both B and F companies at Quetta in 1910 if you can work out which it is. I have a number of original photos of 1st Essex covering the period 1904 to 1915. If you have a picture of him you can post, I'll see what I can find.

Regards

Clive

post-4842-1255634473.jpg

Colin - I've moved your thread to the "Soldiers" section - a more appropriate home than "Culture"...and welcome to the Forum

Alan

Attached his obituary from the Regimental Journal.

He landed at W beach Gallipoli with 1st Essex on 25th April 1915. He went through Gallipoli unscathed and went on to serve in France . He was wounded on 1st July 1916 with 1st Essex at Beaumont Hamel, (where my great great uncle was killed, see avatar) as a Cpl. He was wounded again as Cpl in March 1918 with 1st Essex but I don't have the exact date. His MM was gazetted on 11th November 1916, possible for 1st day of the Somme. Can't help you on 1917.

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/298...pplements/10926

The war diary for 1st Essex covering 1st July is available online.

I have photos of both B and F companies at Quetta in 1910 if you can work out which it is. I have a number of original photos of 1st Essex covering the period 1904 to 1915. If you have a picture of him you can post, I'll see what I can find.

Regards

Clive

Thank you very much for that Clive, you have helped enormously. I am still in the learning process when it comes to military research. If it is possible to obtain the photos of B and F companies in the hopes of showing to members of the family to see if anyone can identify him. Before I put my message on this site I never thought I would get such a quick response.

May I ask you one more thing please. What does the (H.D) stand for in the orbituary?

I am sorry but we have no photographs of him to send. If I do ever get one I shall forward to you.

Regards

Colin

• Admin

Home Defence I would guess.

Michelle