Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Aden Garrison August 1915

Janet Butler

On 6 August 1915, troops set off from the garrison at Aden, presumably to fight Turkish forces. They had a camel train, and mules. I would be grateful if anyone might be able to tell me who they were, where they were going, and what might have happened to them.

many thanks

Janet Butler

Janet

They were the 1/Ist Brecknockshire Battalion, South Wales Borderers.

Go to the Royal Regiment of Wales website. Click on "Museums" and find "South Wales Borderers" and then "Fact Sheets". You will find the information you need there.

Terry Reeves

Dear Terry & all,

I have checked out the Brecknockshire battallion, and Terry was spot on, they were there, and went on went into battle with Turkish forces at Lahej but they left on the 5th August to go to Bombay, and their place was taken by the 'Buffs?'. The suggestion in the account I have is that there were many thousands of Turks rumoured to be threatening Aden, sone 15 miles distant, and the force seen leaving on the evening of the 6th was a very large one. My account could be misdated - it could be the Brecknockshires leaving Aden the day before - or it could be the moveable column leaving for a new battle. Does anyone have any thoughts? I would be grateful for any comments. Many thanks in anticipation - Janet B

• 2 years later...

Hello,

I have registered today and this is my first enquiry and reply. I was stationed in Aden from 1964 to 1966 in the British Army. In those days I took only a passing interest in Aden and its history. Since I retired I have been making desultory enquiries concerning Aden in World War 1 and rather regretting my youthful lack of detailed interest. I knew that Welsh Territiorial units were despatched in 1914 to replace the garrison of regular troops needed in France and Belgium. Prior to 1914 Aden was regarded as a punishment (barren and hot). I lived close to the main town called in those days Steamer Point where there was a landing place from the harbour called Prince of Wales Pier (named after the Prince of Wales who became Edward VIII). On its walls were war memorial panels commerorating those lost in the campaign against the Turks. Many of those listed were from the Indian Army with ranks like "Muleteer". I also recall hearing that more were lost from thirst due to inefficiency than from fighting. The pier is still there but I think the memorial panels were destroyed in the aftermath of the British ejection in 1967.

Mate,

Strange you should mention that as I had a mate in the Australian Army in the Seventies who served in Aden in the Sixties with the Argile and Sutherland Highlanders.

His name was comen for a scoty I am afraid, Jock (all scotties are called that) Gabby.

He may have been there around your time as he told us a few stories over many a gram.

Cheers

S.B

Janet,

I am no expert but these british battalions were not the only troops present. There would have been Indian troops present, along with a cavalry unit known as the 'Aden Troop'.

There were a few engagements (where we mainly came off worse if I recall correctly) but no decisive actions.

Regards,

Matthew

I have the medal group of a Sergeant who was in 1/6th East Surrey. This battalion also served in Aden, from February 1917 to the following January when they returned to India where they were garrisoned. At some stage during thier tour they worked alongside 7th Rajputs and they were involved in several actions against the Turks although casualties were very light throughout thier stint there. According to figures I have found they only had 71 fatalities during the entire war, mostly from disease and these were shared between India and Aden.

Greg