Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Western Front/Swiss Frontier

anwright

It was generally quiet. Both sides were at pains to try and avoid violating Swiss neutrality, and hence artillery action was generally curtailed so as to reduce the risks of stray rounds or overshoots entering Swiss territory. The Swiss made it clear that they would not tolerate violation by either side and mobilised 450,000 men to protect their borders.

Tim

Guest Simon Bull

Does anyone know if there are any photographs extant of what the Western Front actually looked like where it met the Swiss border?

Yes Simon, a guard house at Pfetterhouse or something like that, but of course I can't tell you where I saw it, sorry, but know it exists.

It was reproduced in the WFA 'Stand To' a few years ago

It was reproduced in the WFA 'Stand To' a few years ago

...and also in "Gunfire".

Marco,

Thanks for the links - they are duly bookmarked!

And thanks for the other comments in this thread, too.

A Wright

Given due regard for Swiss neutrality, did the respective trenchlines literally stop at the border, or did they peter-out a few hundred yards from it, providing a front narrow enough to obviate a flank attack in any numbers yet ensuring no stray bullets went into Swiss territory? I've seen a few diagrams of 1918 positions, and at this extreme end of the Front both sides had divisions covering their flanks.

Were the Swiss strictly neutral, or did they grant more favours to one side or the other? How did they fare, given that protagonists surrounded their country and merchant shipping and civilian production was severely reduced?

Cheers

Richard :)

Hi

I often visit Alsace and the Vosges. Was there any particular area you are interested in? I'm fairly familiar with the battlefield areas up there.

I have some pictures which I'm going to post shortly, when they've been properly scanned and edited.

The books I've read and own about that area in the Great War are in French. Are titles of any use to you?

Gwyn

Gwyn,

I am a rank amateur at this, & non-French speaking, so please do not put in a lot of effort on my behalf.

The photos sound very interesting, & any pointers that provide an overview to the situation on this part of the Western Front are welcome.

With thanks,

A Wright