Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hall of Memory, birmingham

Lindsey

Does any one know if there is a data base or list of names which are on the Roll of Honour at the Hall of Memory, Birmingham, possibly on the internet?? i am looking to see if my Great Uncle Percy Lilly is on it, he was killed on 24/8/17.

Lindsey

I don'y know about a database on the internet but i have been told that you can speak to the attendant in the hall and request to see the book.

It might be worth contacting Birmingham Central Library on this,as that's where the WW1 rememberance book is at the moment for "restoration".They may be able to tell you if there is such a database available and if what i have been told is correct.

Steven :unsure:

Thanks Steven for a starting point. I will contact the Library first, if thats where the book is at present.Plus a phone call to the Hall itself would do no harm either, to check out your info. I sense a trip to Birmingham will be on the cards in the near future!

Lindsey

I was last in Birmingham about two months ago.But prior to that the book had been at the library for some time (months).I've no idea what the time scale is on returning the book to the hall.

I'd be interested to see if you can view the book,it was a cousin of my Dad's who told me that.I'm interested to see if my Great Grandfather George White is in it.As they only turn one page a day (when the books in the hall) i have a long time to wait before they get to the W's.

Let me know what you find out,please.

Steven :)

A few years ago I discovered that my great-uncle's name had been missed off the Hall of Memory list, so I applied to have him put on. Several others were included at the same time and the Council held a little ceremony. There are about 13.000 names recorded for the Great War.

Mark, were you able to look at the book? If so , how do you go about checking it?

Lindsey

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Steven,

Is their an absent voters list for Birmingham available for March 1918 listing names, numbers, units etc?

Thanks - Ian

I believe that the hall is not open to all these days (a sign of the times) but a call to the council should ensure that it can be accessed. I recall the book as a beautiful thing, but have not seen it for some years. Perhaps enquirers might ask/suggest that it be made available online or digitised on CD. I know that Sonia Batten at the B'ham University Centre for First War Studies organised a visit late last year. An enquiry through John Bourne at Birmingham Univ. may elicit further information.

Thank you Martin, for further lines of enquiry. It is sad that the Hall is not open to all anymore, and as you say 'a sign of the times' it is. Iwonder if the same state of affairs exists on the Western Front and other places too?

Lindsey

Hello Lindsey

There was a book published of all the WW1 B'ham Soldiers whose names are commemorated at the Hall of Memory. It is called the Roll of Honour 1914 -1918, Birmingham. (this is not the National Roll of Honour, Birmingham, which is a different book...and his name is not in that either)

There is a copy on the 6th Floor of the Central Library. I have a photo-copy and unfortunately there is not a P. Lilly listed. There are three soldiers with that surname but their initials are different.

Also there is, in the Library, an Absent Voters Book for 1918 and that is now on microfilm.

Regards

Terry

p.s I see that his name was mis-spelt on the CD Rom of Soldiers Died in the Great War and he is down as P.Tilly!

The Hall of Memory is open on some days, although it seems to be fairly sporadic and really a stroke of luck if it is. I know they have had a lot of problems with vandalism, this may be the reason why. I was in the city centre on Friday and it was open, but it was shut this morning.

There is actually very little to see inside the hall itself, but there is some nice stained glass and there are always many many wreaths, mainly from local organisations. There is a central glass sided plinth containing the WW2 roll. On the outside there are some rather interesting sculptures, which I believe represent Victory, the Army, Navy and Airforce. (I am sure one of the experts will correct me if I am wrong)

The roll of honour itself is being held by the reference service at the library, and the only way it can be viewed is by booking it in advance. I know this as I went to BCL last weekend for this purpose and was told "No viewing without a booking".

The staff in the reference library are really helpful, I have always found. I should be going next weekend if there is anything else I can look up for you then let me know.

The phone number for them is 0121 303 4511. If you are going to drive there is very close parking on the Broad Street multi-stories, or by train, come out of New Street station, down the ramp, left onto New Street. Up the steps past the fountain in Victoria Square, and the library is ahead of you, on the left of the museum and art gallery.

I gained access to the book by the simple expedient of asking the friendly security guard to unlock the cabinet and let me look at the relevant page-but that was 15 years ago. It's a pity it's got less accessible. At least there don't seem to be any plans to demolish/move the Hall as there were a few years ago when Birmingham City Council was in the hands of lunatics (allegedly).