Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Unit Identification Patches/Flashes

BarryF

Can anyone point me to a source for info about unit flashes at Brigade level and below, please? I am particularly interested in the following two which I think are patches from 24 Division worn possibly by Royal Fusiliers in 1916-1917. The trianglular patch is from a photo of a Royal Fusilier in 17 Brigade/24 Division.

Many thanks, Barry

PS I first posted this on the Units and Formations forum but was helpfully pointed to this more specific section.

post-752-1255184758.jpg

http://www.ospreypublishing.com/store/Brit...)_9780850457278

This is quite a good start although by no means exhaustive. Unfortunately out of print at the moment.

There are a couple of patches in the Osprey volume mentioned by Raster above, which resemble the cross patch.

One is an illustration of an officer of the E. Surreys (24th Div) 1917.

The caption says "The cross indicates the second senior battalion within the brigade; its green colour the second brigade within the division" (p44 for plate C4)

There is also a photograph of a re-enactor on the previous page (p43) displaying a similar cross, the caption for this reads: " A private of the Royal Fusiliers , 24th Division, 1918. The red cross indicates the second battalion of the senior brigade...."

So it would appear - depending upon the colour of the cross that it may indicate the seniority of the battalion within the brigade. In WWI period photographs the colour reproduction of reds and yellows is complicated by the frequent use of orthographic film.

Chris

Barry

The 24th Division (17th, 71st & 72nd Brigades) had a scheme of badges which indicated Brigade, Battalion and the Battalion's seniority within the Brigade.

In 17th Brigade was identified by red badges and 1st RF by the red cross (2nd in seniority) and 12th (Service) Bn RF by a red triangle (3rd in seniority). Units in the division also wore four-pointed stars in different colours above the battalion badge to indicate company, A Company Blue, B Company green, C Company red and D Company yellow. As far as I can make out the scheme was adopted gradually in 1916 and by July all the units in the Division were using it. Quite a few IWM photos of 24th Div troops during the Battle of the Somme show the scheme in use. The 71st Bde badges were yellow and 72nd green

Fantastic! I am indebted to everyone, Mike, Chris and John, for their help in resolving a problem that I been staring at for many years. I have learned a lot and the info I now have will help me in my ongoing research.

Thank you very much, Barry.

Just for interest, here is one of the original yellow patches worn by 40407 Pte Sidney E Banks, 7th Northamptons, 73 Brigade, 24th Division.

He also served with the Essex Regiment and the Suffolks.

I have scanned both sides to show the colour it would have been originally. The two tacks in the centre must have been to hold the two pieces together at the proper angle while they were sewn in place.

post-1565-1255391851.jpg

post-1565-1255391955.jpg

Chief Chum,

The images are of particular interest in relation to my work and you have given additional info that I did not have before. They will also help identify/eliminate other unit patches. The unit 17Bde unit I am researching was, for a short time, part of 73Bde.

Many thanks for taking the time and trouble to respond to my enquiry.

Barry