Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pvt F E Ball 7th BN Canadian Inf

ATNOMIS

There seems to be a problem at the moment with Library and Archives Canada site , for his attestation papers. Found this just by searching his reg.# and name. It is part of a family tree. Will try for his papers later. Hope this helps.

Doris

57 M xii. FRANK ELMA BALL [1324] was born on 14 May 1895, died on 28 May 1917 in WORLD WAR I aged 22, and was buried in Chester General Cemetery, Manchester, UK.

General Notes: FRANK BALL OCCUPATION WWI DIED OVERSEAS WORLD WAR I BURIED IN FLANDERS FIELDS

Military records: Joined Calgary November 5, 1915 in the 89th Btn., trade, butcher, height 5' 4 1/2", reg. #183152, 7th Btn. BC infantry regiment. These records list his place of burial as Chester General Cemetery, Cheshire, UK. Some records list him as Frank Elmer but his written documents clearly say Frank Elma. He was wounded in the left leg April 18, 1917 and died of wounds in England at Western General Hospital May 28, 1917. He was with the 7th Btn. at the time.

Many thanks.

So far away from home very sad.

I know of the hospital (no longer there) near was a war hospital.

I take once they passed they were buried at the Cemetery.

Cheers

Atnomis.

Atnomis, Your post caught my eye as I live not too far from Chester, it was interesting to see Chester, Manchester for the place of burial! I was wondering where the hospital was as I did have a quick look and only came up with Manchester which didn't make sense for him to be buried in Chester but I get the impression from your reply that there was in fact a hospital near to Chester.

Judith

Judith.

Chester Royal Infirmary. That was.

It was I believe a military hospital in WW1.

The Manchester might have been a general area some times you Liverpool.

The closest place for burails would have been Overleigh Chester.

I was born and bred in Chester Garden Lane...

Now out in Mold.

Cheers

Atnomis.

Thanks Atnomis. I was born and brought up in Ellesmere Port but spent many a night in Chester, now living in Bromborough. My husbands great aunt lived in Garden Lane, her name was Kate Williams, he remembers visiting her with his parents in the 60's.