Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

? Sudeley Castle, Winchcombe, Gloucs. 31.7.19

nellys

This picture shows my GG Uncle Thomas Wootten, no idea which man.... Yorks and Lancs Reg. etc have no service/pension records, as yet, will look for MIC. Just thought you may be interested and could perhaps give some more info re Winchcombe, I did a search sometime ago but not much info obtained.

Wootten-1.jpg

I think it's likely Thomas is standing left His elder brother William, My GGrandfather, served with RWF

WilliamRWF.jpg

Thank you Nel

I emailed Sudeley castle, not to book a wedding reception though and have received a reply from Jean Bray the Archivist there, in 1914-1918 she describes it as a haven for wounded soldiers invalided from the front lines in France and Belgium. Two of the buildings in the town became temporary hospitals. More than 800 sick and wounded soldiers were cared for in these hospitals. The services were provided by women of the Gloucestershire Voluntary Aid Department Vad no. 6 organised by Miss Eliza Wedgwood of Stanton. Sudeley was a prisoner of war camp during WW2... Nel, perhaps this post should be moved to hospitals??