Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pozieres British Cemetery and VC Corner

Auimfo

Hi All,

Just a quick request.

I wondered if anyone might be passing by Pozieres British Cemetery or VC Corner anytime in the near future and could either photograph or record the details of a particular grave for me.

I was just doing some research regarding 2nd Lt Albert Ernest PRATT, 53rd Bn, AIF who was killed at Fromelles on 19th July, 1916. Initially his remains were missing until 1925 when a letter and grave photograph were sent to his mother by the IWGC stating he'd been located and buried at Pozieres British Cemetery at Plot III, Row N, Grave 12. (which seems a bit odd considering the distance between Fromelles and Pozieres)

Now according to the Australian War Memorial's Roll of Honour and Geoff's Search Engine, he's still recorded as being at Pozieres however on checking the CWGC, they now list him on a memorial addenda panel at VC Corner. Therefore sometime very recently, an (obvious) error regarding this man's burial must have been discovered.

Besides finding out how this error was discovered, I'd also like to find out what's now inscribed on the grave at Pozieres and obtain a photo of both it and the entire Addenda Panel at VC Corner.

Is there anyone going to be passing by these two places in the near future who wouldn't mind helping out?

Cheers,

Tim L.

Tim. Off to Arras tomorrow night (Sat) will get to Pozieres during the week, but VC corner may be not. Going with 12 others and its the majority vote as to where one heads off to. Hope this may be of help. Regards Ralph.

Ralph,

I'd be most obliged if you could possibly manage to snap a quick photo at Pozieres for me. I suspect the grave at Plot III, Row N, Grave 12 now probably only reads "Known Unto God" but would like to be certain.

Don't go out of your way to get to VC Corner if it doesn't fit in with your plans. I'm pretty certain someone will be heading that way very soon.

Cheers and thanks again,

Tim L.