Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

British Units Which Surrendered 21 March,1918

Terry

This is a composite map of the approximate area. If this is what you are after, then I can tidy up the map on the right hand side. Have you seen the Battleground Europe book on St Quentin?

Robert

post-4-1083416576.jpg

Robert - excellent and thanks very much. I can see F0oucard and Lejeuve trenches.

That would be great. Des

I have to check out the St. Quentin book.

• 14 years later...

Having found out today that Lt Col Farnham surrendered the Boedicea Redoubt to the Germans on the 21st March 1918, I reaslise just how lucky I am to be here as one of the 241 other ranks whose lives he saved that day was my Grandad. My father was not born until 1924, so had he allowed the Germans to bombard the redoubt I imagine there would have been a good change that he would not have survived to marry and have children.  Mark my Grandad spent the last nine months in prisoner of war camp but did survive the war. Thank you Lt Col Arthur Kenlis Farnham.

Good Evening

On the 21/03/1918 Many of these units had been under the most powerful artillery bombardment since the Somme with the use of gas and sustained many casualties and were in no fit state to fight. And as mentioned earlier became surrounded and had no option but to put their hands up. The 2nd Division lost over 7,500 men alone during that period and some battalions were down to about 30 or 40 men, really tough times. Mist in the morning on the 21st, the New style Artillery bombardment invented by Mr Bruckmullar,and No food and water, lack of ammunition, cold and tired would you not put your hands. Tough times, these are the men who helped win the war.

Kind Regards