Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

NEED HELP

feeder

Hi ive just found out that my great grandfather was in ww1.I found his medal index card with some info on it that id like to no more about.His name was Edmund G Chrichard,And he was in the Royal Garrison Artillery Labour corps.Reg number 63505(with another number under neath)706761.I would like to know if he ever saw action,and what his job was e.t.c.Many thanks Lee.

Hello and welcome

If he got medals, then he served overseas. (with some exceptions like India)

He would have been in the Royal artillery first with the number 63505 and then Labour Corps with number 706761.

Have you looked on Ancestry for his Service records as well? You may be lucky.

If he went from the Artillery to Labour Corps then he was either wounded or Ill and not considered fit for active service.

Can you load his medal index card on to this thread? The image has to be less than 100K

Cheers

Steve

His RGA number suggests that he was most likely given his RGA number at No 4 Depot, Great Yarmouth on 8/11/1915. Many of this batch actually enlisted on 6/11/1915.

63515 Cheeseman and 63540 Cheetham have service records on ancestry which might help you in getting a picture of what happnened to men who enlisted on the same day as your ancestor.

From this enlistment, he is most likely to have been sent to a Coastal RGA battery for training and most likely to have gone overseas in 1916 with a Siege Battery RGA. Unfortunately, it is also possible that he did none of these thing and difficult to say unless someone else can find other info on him from the few other likely sources. It is also probable that he was injured which resulted in him transferring to the Labour Corps following recovery from wounds/sickness.

Mark

Thanks for all your help.Is it possibleb to find more info on this?Cheers Lee

Thanks for all your help.Is it possible to find more info on this?Cheers Lee

He did not go overseas until after 1 Jan 1916.

You can use the Medal Index Card refs to get his name on the Medal Rolls but these are held at National Archives and not online. Although his medal roll refs are for the Labour Corps Rolls.

For Artillery and Labour Corps it is difficult to trace him without the service records.

Have you checked local papers for anything on him as a casualty?

Steve

Thanks Steve

No i havent checked the papers yet.How would i go about that,is there anything on the web where i can check?cheers Lee.

The local records office, Local studies or Library should have them. If you check the site for the town/area's council, they should have it as a link.

Steve