Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pre-World War 1 Service

Stephen Nulty

Whilst undertaking my family tree research, I have found that my great-grandfather, Robert White, served in the Royal Navy. I have a portrait of him as a young man in uniform, probably from around 1895-1900.

Are there any records in existence for that period? I would like to find more about the ships on which he served (I know that two of his sons served on HMS Rodney during the 1930's).

Many thanks for any help offered.

Stephen

Hello

Yes, there are many records for pre-War soldiers and sailors; they are usually listed alongside the more popular WW1 searches on researchers' sites.

In fact, unlike many WW1 soldiers' records, naval records are virtually complete.

Navy records go from about mid-19th C. (for individual records) up until 1928. Service records after this date are still held by the MOD; they can be seen by relatives but they can and do charge uncompetitive search fees to check.

For the period in question, for other ranks they would be held under ADM188; pages in log books listing enlistment details, postings and rank, held at the PRO.

Best to get as much detail about him before you go: i.e. service number; rank.

If you can't go to the PRO, researchers usually charge about £10 to send you appropriate photocopy.

Cheers

Richard :)

Richard

Thanks very much for a prompt response. I'm happy to engage a researcher now that I know the records exist.

Regards

Stephen