Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte Robert/Ronald Smiles, Rifle Brigade

Bluetail

I have managed to locate the Medal card for my grandfather, Robert (sometimes went by "Ronald" as on card) Smiles, reg no S2857. The card simply shows him as serving in the Rifle Brigade.

How do I go about finding which regiment/division he was in and where he served, what injuries he may have incurred or which battles the division was engaged in? I believe he was at both the Somme and Passchendaele, but have no evidence for this.

post-42221-1254920894.jpg

Bluetail,

Your grandfather served in the 10th & 11th Rifle Brigade in the 20th (Light) Division, both these battalions were in the 59th Infantry Brigade of the 20th Division. He was sent to Class Z reserve in February 1919. The 10th Rifle Brigade were disbanded in February 1918, so he might have been moved over to the 11th Rifle Brigade when this disbanding of the 10th happened, quite a lot of the 10th were moved over to the 11th at this time.

His entry into theatre date of 22/7/15 makes him an original member of the 10th Rifle Brigade who embarked at Folkestone at 11pm on the 21st, disembarking at 1am on the 22nd in Boulogne.

Andy

Wow, that was quick. Thanks Andy.

I'm thinking of taking my father down to Kew as part of his 80th birthday celebration in January 2010 - he's wanted to look into his father's background for years. I didn't know where to start when all I had was "Rifle Brigade"; hopefully now I've got a bit more gen we will know what to ask for as regards War diaries.

Is there anywhere on line that gives good info on the action seen by the 10th Rifles to get a bit more background?

Cheers

Mark

Hi Mark,

I will have a little look through the 10th RB War Diary for you tonight, although it is unlikely that he will be mentioned by name, unless he was wounded, as the 10th RB casualty returns are not quite complete but a good proportion are there. The information regarding battalions he served in all came from his medal rolls which I can send you a photgraphed copy of if you would like them.

Andy

Hi Mark,

I will have a little look through the 10th RB War Diary for you tonight, although it is unlikely that he will be mentioned by name, unless he was wounded, as the 10th RB casualty returns are not quite complete but a good proportion are there. The information regarding battalions he served in all came from his medal rolls which I can send you a photgraphed copy of if you would like them.

Andy

Thanks Andy,

Any info gratefully received. I'm sure Dad would be chuffed to see his father's name in the rolls.

I don't think my grandfather was wounded, but I recall Dad saying that his father was the first man to be sent up in a barrage balloon with an Aldis lamp. I have no idea if that is correct, if I imagined it, or for what purpose he would have done so - signalling presumably. I suppose war puts people in the strangest of positions!

Rgds

Mark