Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Marine Medical Unit

engineer 100

My relative apparently finished the Great War with the rank of Captain after enlisting in 1914.

His record shows that he was in the Royal Marine - Medical Unit - Royal Navy.

Could anyone tell me if this means he had the army rank of captain or the naval rank of captain?

Many thanks

Welcome to the forum,

Did he enlist in the Royal Marines or the army? What records do you have for him?

A Naval Lieutenant is equal to an Army Captain; a Naval Captain is equivalent to an Army Colonel.

Royal Marines Medical Unit (of the Royal Naval Division) enlisted as RM. I can only find three RMMU enlistments in 1914 that were discharged to a commission: one to RNVR, one to RM and one to army.

Engineer, some of the RNVR records are online, those of the RM and army are offline.

Royal Marines Medical Unit (of the Royal Naval Division) enlisted as RM. I can only find three RMMU enlistments in 1914 that were discharged to a commission: one to RNVR, one to RM and one to army.

Thank you for your help.

My relative was named Joseph Wilson. I don't have many details, just a faded obituary notice. I understand he was at Gallipoli, and was one of the last to leave. He was awarded the Medaille Militaire, which I have.

Attestation pack at the FAA Museum:-

Deal/3018(S); MED UNIT; WILSON, J: Enlisted 15/12/1914; DISCHARGED TO COMMISSION

He appears on the RM Medal Roll as Lieutnant RM but, interestingly, no mention of MM.

His record of service on-line here:-

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...p;resultcount=1

Officer's record at Kew not on-line.

That's brilliant. I am grateful for your time and expertise.

I now have his service record. The handwriting is quite difficult to read in places. But it does list the Medaille Militaire - it seems it was awarded while he was a staff sergeant.

Next stop I guess will be Kew to pursue him after the commission.

He appears on the RM Medal Roll as Lieutnant RM but, interestingly, no mention of MM.

I wouldn't expect a French Medaille Militaire to be shown on the medal roll. I have seen campaign medal rolls that do not show any of the gallantry mendals a man has won, including the VC.

• 8 years later...

Hello all! New joiner.  Apologies for restarting a very old thread.  Just discovered this thread researching medals for the RN and RM medics (other ranks and WO's only) which I have been doing for a few years now.  I can confirm that he did earn a French MM as he is on my list and is gazetted of one of the 887 names I have collated:  https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/32074/page/9694image.png.6cddc1394a7749ca1208795ec0c51d1c.png