Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Maj-Gen H Bruce Williams - 37th div

David T. Spurr

My father was a Canadian in the British army in World War I.

He was a Veterinary Officer in the 124th Brigade - RFA which was a

unit of artillery in Maj. Gen. H. Bruce Williams' 37th Div. Once he

said that General Williams was good to the young Canadian officers

because his wife was from Canada. He also said that he remembers a

Canadian officer in the divisional engineers.

My questions are:

1. Who was the General Williams’ wife and are there any descendants still living?

2. Was Brigadier Edward Stephen Bruce-Williams, the cricket player,

the son of this Maj-Gen Hugh Brice-Williams?

3. Did any of Hugh Bruce-Williams papers and letters survive?

David

Was Brigadier Edward Stephen Bruce-Williams, the cricket player,

the son of this Maj-Gen Hugh Brice-Williams?

See: http://thepeerage.com/p21302.htm

Dave

• 10 years later...

I am most interested in this topic.  My uncle - 2/Lt Vivian Dixon MC was the General's ADC in early 1919.  He776033835_MajorGeneralBruceWilliams.jpg.f5de2c74dc6f8cafd38eda282cd9f7b6.jpg was extremely well thought of by his Division and was one of the more successful Divisional Commanders.  I have a copy of 'The Golden Horseshoe' the journal of 37th Division produced in 1919, which contains this copy of a painting of the General.

Worthington

• 1 month later...
On 07/01/2020 at 00:24, James BW said:

Sir I am James Arden Bruce Williams, Great Grandson to Sir Hugh Bruce Williams! I have recently found a boxfile of letters and extracts from his service which I am going through! Please do get in touch.

Getting in touch, James. My grandfather and namesake Brig-Gen Sir Berkeley Vincent was Chief Staff Officer of the 37th Division from April 1915 to January 1917. He worked with your ancestor Maj-Gen H.B. Wiliams at the Battle of the Ancre in 1916. I have a letter from HBW dated 21 Jan 1917 recommending BV for the Legion of Honour.

On 19/01/2020 at 17:38, worthington said:

I am most interested in this topic.  My uncle - 2/Lt Vivian Dixon MC was the General's ADC in early 1919.  He776033835_MajorGeneralBruceWilliams.jpg.f5de2c74dc6f8cafd38eda282cd9f7b6.jpg was extremely well thought of by his Division and was one of the more successful Divisional Commanders.  I have a copy of 'The Golden Horseshoe' the journal of 37th Division produced in 1919, which contains this copy of a painting of the General.

Worthington

Many thanks for the picture, Worthington,. When was it made, I wonder?

His medal ribbons give a clue.  He’s wearing the 1914 Star but no “Squeak and Wilfred”.  The earliest he could have put up the ribbon of the Star would have been November 1917, if he was “cheeky”.  Perhaps his foreign decorations might help to home in on the date bracket of between 1917 and 1919?

• 3 weeks later...

Many thanks Buller. I suppose that 1918 is most likely, so possibly after the Armistice. Here is a photo at the NPG dated 1936

download.png

I would have thought that sometime in early 1919 is the most likely date.  

• 2 years later...

My grandfather was wounded out in no mans land near Oosterverne on the Western Front on the evening of July 17th 1917. He was a 2nd Lt with 37 Division  9 Btn North Staffs Regiment (Pioneers). A few days aftrr this incident which also involved the death of his Captain and an O/R he was sent back to a field station to receive medical attention. No sooner had he arrived there than he was told to get out of his bed and get dressed. Major General Bruce Williams was inspecting the field station and informed my grandfather that he was awarding him with an MC for gallantry but on condition that he could assure him he wasnt suffering from shell shock. In his memoirs my grandfather wrote that the Major General was nicknamed Windy Bill. But he also wrote that as far as he was concerned that was a totally unsuitable nickname as well as an inaccurate depiction of the man.