Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

SE/9049 Pte (A/Sjt) FREDERICK FINCH, AVC

verdun

Looking for information on the military service of SE/9049 Pte (A/Sjt) FREDERICK FINCH, AVC. I have his MIC, which shows that he was in the Army Veterinary Corps and that he was awarded the MM, which was gazetted on 17th June 1918. At the time he was attached to "51st Mob. Vet. Sect." (51st Mobilie Veterinary Section?)

I am particularly interested in anything to do with his entitlement to the MM. Were the citations published for NCOs and other ranks???

Many thanks if you can help, Peter

Peter

No MM citations were published in the London Gazette; only lists of medal recipients, and only listing surname, forename initials,

rank, and service number. You will need to research unit diaries and related documentation, at the National Archives and

elsewhere, to learn the details of Pte. Finch's entitlement.

Regards

Trelawney

Sorry, I made a mistake!!!

The medal in question is actually the MERITORIOUS SERVICE MEDAL (and not the Military Medal as I had been earlier led to believe.)

Would anyone have access to the following book:

MERITORIOUS SERVICE MEDAL. The Immediate Awards 1916-1928 by Ian McInnes

ISBN NO: 9781843420187

I believe this might have reference to MSMs awarded to the AVC and to A/Sjt Finch in particular.

Many thanks again if you can help, Peter

Have you looked in the war diary for any references to him? WO 95/2603 51 Mobile Veterinary Section

Peter

The London Gazette for 17th June 1918 only published a list of all recipients of the Meritorious Service Medal. The list of names was

prefaced with the following statement: "...in recognition of valuable services rendered with the Forces in France during the present war:..."

Finch is listed as:

S.E.9049 Pte. (A/Sjt.) F. Finch, A.V.C. (Brighton) (As published in London Gazette, 30750/7145).

The award was clearly an award for service/job well done rather than gallantry. Given the length of the list of M.S.M. recipients in the

17 June 1918 listing and the service nature of the award criteria, I would be surprised if any substantial details exist as to the

qualifying service for any individual who received the award. Incidentally, I checked the BMD & Census for him and only one

man had a Brighton & Gloucestershire connection: Frederick Walter Finch, birth registered in the 2nd Quarter 1886, at the

registry office at Gloucester, Gloucestershire; he is listed in the 1891 & 1901 Census as "Frederick - Finch" and residing

in Gloucestershire. He may be the A.V.C. man.

Trelawney

• 6 years later...
Guest Senior Service

He was my Great Granddad.  I found a Great War Medal of his after I moved house recently.  I'd love to know of why the interest in him, as my Nan (his Daughter) has passed away and I knew very little of him